Unanswered: Duplicate entry??

Hi there. How do I have an Access form disallow duplicate entries. Here is what I have. I have an input prompt where the user inputs the store number. Then the store number will be entered into the form. How can I have that input prompt compare the store number entered by the user and check to see if an entry for that store has already beenbeen enteredin the table. Any help would be awesome!!
    Sharon))

Re: Duplicate entry??

Originally posted by nikko50
    Hi there. How do I have an Access form disallow duplicate entries. Here is what I have. I have an input prompt where the user inputs the store number. Then the store number will be entered into the form. How can I have that input prompt compare the store number entered by the user and check to see if an entry for that store has already beenbeen enteredin the table. Any help would be awesome!!
    Sharon))
    You can have Store number as PK so there will not be any duplicate value
    Skharva

or indexed (no duplicates)
    if you already have a PK

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I would like the have the "INPUT STORE" prompt compare the store entered to see if there is any duplicate values in the store table. If yes prompt " Enter new store number". How do I go about doing this.
    Sharon)

Can I create a conditional Macro to test the store number prompt value with the table???

macros!

can you make your life simpler by having the user select from a combo instead of typing free text in a textbox?

set up a combo to have a single column (your stores).
    then properties¦data....
    ¦rowsource - set sort ascending
    ¦confine to list

voila! no duplicates, and the user only needs to type a few chars to get to the store he is looking for.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Prompt box is needed in this situation because we have over 9000 stores. Any suggestions??

Originally posted by nikko50
    Prompt box is needed in this situation because we have over 9000 stores. Any suggestions??
    How about creating two combobox. One for the location and one for each location store numbers.
    Skharva