Unanswered: TCP/IP becomes a disabled protocol ?

Has anyone ever seen TCP/IP become a disabled protocol without manual intervention from a user?

My websites just stopped talking to my MSSQL db and when I went into sql client config utility on the web boxes, tcp/ip was disabled. Any clues? Can't find anything to support this in the event or web logs.

If the TCP/IP bindings are only partially disabled, you may still be able to connect with TCP/IP over PPP without an error, but you may only have limited functionality over the connection. This will depend on which TCP/IP bindings are disabled.

Check under Control RAS server for more information on this behaviour.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Originally posted by Satya
    If the TCP/IP bindings are only partially disabled, you may still be able to connect with TCP/IP over PPP without an error, but you may only have limited functionality over the connection. This will depend on which TCP/IP bindings are disabled.

Check under Control RAS server for more information on this behaviour.
    Thank you for your reply. I don't think I explained what happened well enough.

If you open cliconfg from a cmd line. There are disabled protocols and enabled protocols.

My client said that TCP/IP was enabled and somehow became disabled without anyone physically changing that. I think they are nuts, however, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if anyone has ever seen this happen before.

Any advice is welcomed....along with "yeah, they are nuts".

Thanks -

Are you using default to connect or any specific port for TCP/IP?
    Without manual intervention there is no scope of disabling TCP.IP on its own. ANyway checking Windows event viewier will help.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]