Unanswered: Maintaining HTTP Server/Apache in Windos 2000

Friends

I tried the setting of LogLEvel to CRIT (for critical), it seems to be working, but whenever my Apache.exe is running its utilizing 100% of CPU...any work arounds for this ?

At the same time, I have more questions ..

Why is it that my TNSListener is depending on HTTP Server ?

History for this is, The services related to Oracle on my PC (Win2K, with Pentium-4 and 512 RAM, 80 G HD) are as default set at install time. After observing that Apache.exe is being too CPU intensive, I goto Services and stop the HTTP server service. This frees up my CPU greatly. Then if I open DOS window, do TNSPing <ServerName> couple of times its fine, when I TNSPing the 4th or 5th time it gives me a dialog box saying "Error Log is being Generated", I close this dialog then I am seeing "TNS NO Listener" error in the DOS window. The error log here is generated by none other than the infamous Apache.ex aka HTTP Server !!!

What exactly is Apache.exe doing for Oracle ?
    As per my limited knowledge, I think it is the platform for Oracle Enterprise Manager ... correct me if I am wrong.

Pls help with your expert suggestions..

Thanks in Advance
    -VENKAT

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Neither Apache nor TNS Listener is required to use an Oracle DB;
    as long as you are logged directly onto the database server system
    and your environment is properly configured.
    What does
    lsnrctl status
    display?
    What the contents of listener.log file?

I understand that neither Apache or TNS is required to connect to DB, if I am directly connected. But If I am using a tool like Informatica, it in turn uses a connect string and that checks the TNSNames.Ora file and will not find any Listener running, would ultimately reject my connection. So to keep it running, I need to have the HTTP Server Alive (this in turn keeps my TnsListener alive).