Thread: database export

Unhappy Unanswered: database export

Hello everyone,

Im new to dbase development. I need your suggestions.

I would like to ask anyone who can give me a suggestion on what method or direction I should take on my project.

Im using Visual Studio Visual basic.net

The project is to export data from dbase4 to a mysql database fields. This involves matching up the fields in the dbase4 database to the mysql database.

The dbase4 database is constantly being updated by users. The export should update the mysql database also.

The export can happen during the night when the employees are not working.

I thought of transforming the dbase4 dataset to an xml file to mysql. Im not sure if this is the best way.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Michael
    Last edited by Anchovies; 03-16-04 at 17:19.

You already probably installed the provider for Windows from mysql.com, so why not get a provider (if you don't already have one) for the other database and use the ODBC tools to try to auto convert for you?

both has to stay

Thanks for your reply.

If what you mean is to convert dbase4 to mysql and the final outcome or database is a mysql database, the answer is not a database conversion.

Both database has to stay in the system and develop a process that will bring data from dbase to mysql.

The client has a Goldmine Contact manager that uses dbase4 and they want to keep it that way. They have been using this technology for years and put alot of development into it. Somehow an agency that they answer to has this new software that uses Mysql. This enables that agency to access their data if they use this software(mysql).

The requirement is to change all their Goldmine system, my companys client doesnt want to do that.

We have to match their Goldmine tables to Mysql so that we can insert data from Goldmine dbase4 to a matching field in Mysql.

Since we havent work with Mysql. Im trying to find out the best way to do this.

Thanks.

GoldBox is your answer

Might be a little late for your project now, but I figured I'd answer the thread anyway.. Your answer is GOLDBOX, an add-on for GoldMine. www.redstonesoftbase.com

It can perform recurring database tasks with GoldMine data and can hook into external data sources (anything with an ODBC) for two way updating.. It's a veritable swiss army knife of GoldMine data handling. And the developer is a nice guy too..