Data Oriented Approach?

i have been scouring through Google to find resources to learn more/read on regarding the "Data Oriented Approch" to DB design... and haven't been quite successful...

i would appreciate if anyone could lead to me some sites (preferably that you've been through, and found quite helpful)

what else do you know?

What I need to know is what you mean by the term you used and so forth.
    Matt the Hat says: "what!?"
    A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!
    SCARY HARD CHALLENGE: http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=988682

The phrase "Data Oriented Approach" is a common expression that means something quite similar to OOP (Object Oriented Programming). It is commonly used in western Europe (the Netherlands and Germany in particular).

I take it that you get getting some kind of direction from "on high" to use this methodology? If so, most of the work is in Dutch (which I can kind of read), and German (which I'm reasonably comfortable with), but there is very little that I know of that is written in English.

-PatP

Well you sertainly learn of something new everyday. I thought I knew at least the name of near everything data related. The concept is clearly new to the UK.

May I ask cybershadow_jp if you are doing this study for college/school/uni or as part of your job. If job then I recomend interviewing the person this directive has come from and asking them what they understand it to mean. It is my expirence that Managers offten try to learn the jargon to be more helpfull but it is often best to get them to use thier own words to describe what they are after.
    Matt the Hat says: "what!?"
    A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!
    SCARY HARD CHALLENGE: http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=988682

Originally posted by Matt_T_hat
    Well you sertainly learn of something new everyday. I thought I knew at least the name of near everything data related. The concept is clearly new to the UK.

May I ask cybershadow_jp if you are doing this study for college/school/uni or as part of your job. If job then I recomend interviewing the person this directive has come from and asking them what they understand it to mean. It is my expirence that Managers offten try to learn the jargon to be more helpfull but it is often best to get them to use thier own words to describe what they are after.
    good morning everybody

sorry for the late reply - just got held-up at work

anyway, to answer Matt_T_hat's inquiry ---> no im not doing this for study, im actually doing this for work. however, it is not a directive from any of my managers.

it is just i remember seeing an article on the net once - something about "Data Oriented Approach" to database design... though i didnt had the time to actually pour through the article. but i did remember (i may be wrong) that it is actually a new way of approaching the design process for databases. the article seemed to differentiate between "functional approach..." to the "data oriented approach..."

it is in this regard that i would like to learn more about it... for my job, and of course, for self-enlightenment.

unfortunately, most of the paper works out there deal with DOA in regards to front-end development, and not with the back-end