Thread: Query problem

Unanswered: Query problem

I have created the following stored procedure to insert data. When i run the following query "CALL Ry385insert_page('EPT-CSG','SIEP','RIJ-KES','page1','2004-03-16')" it creates three lines with a count value of '1'. Then when i run the same query again it update all three line to a count values of 2. But when to try to run it third time nothing happens. The values stay 2 and i don't get any errors.

Can anyone tell me why it won't go beyond the values 2. I tried to enter a values bigger then 2 manually and that is no problem

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE Ry385insert_page (refind VARCHAR, ou VARCHAR, country VARCHAR, pagename VARCHAR, DATE VARCHAR)

IS
    ou_exists NUMBER(10,0);
    ref_exists NUMBER(10,0);
    country_exists NUMBER(10,0);

BEGIN

SELECT COUNT INTO ou_exists FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(DATE, 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPE = 'OU' AND value = ou ;
    SELECT COUNT INTO ref_exists FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(DATE, 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPE = 'OU' AND value = ou ;
    SELECT COUNT INTO country_exists FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(DATE, 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPE = 'OU' AND value = ou;

IF (ou_exists = 0) THEN
    INSERT INTO RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE VALUES (TO_DATE(DATE, 'YYYY MM DD') ,pagename, 'OU',ou,1);
    ELSE
    ou_exists := ou_exists + 1;
    UPDATE RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE SET COUNT = ou_exists WHERE page = pagename AND TYPE = 'OU' AND value = ou ;
    END IF;

IF (ref_exists = 0) THEN
    INSERT INTO RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE VALUES (TO_DATE(DATE, 'YYYY MM DD') ,pagename, 'REFIND',refind, 1);
    ELSE
    ref_exists := ref_exists + 1;
    UPDATE RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE SET COUNT = ref_exists WHERE page = pagename AND TYPE = 'REFIND' AND value = refind ;
    END IF;

IF (country_exists = 0) THEN
    INSERT INTO RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE VALUES (TO_DATE(DATE, 'YYYY MM DD') ,pagename, 'COUNTRY',country,1);
    ELSE
    country_exists := country_exists + 1;
    UPDATE RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE SET COUNT = country_exists WHERE page = pagename AND TYPE = 'COUNTRY' AND value = country;
    END IF;

END;

CREATE TABLE RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE (
    DATETIME DATE NOT NULL,
    PAGE VARCHAR2 (100) NOT NULL,
    TYPE VARCHAR2 (100) NOT NULL,
    VALUE VARCHAR2 (100) NOT NULL,
    COUNT NUMBER (10) NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT RY385_PK_PAGE_USAGE
    PRIMARY KEY ( DATETIME, PAGE, TYPE, VALUE ) );

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Query problem

PL/SQL is getting confused by your use of the reserved word COUNT as a column name. Instead of returning the value of the column, it is returning you the count of matching records. In fact, if you renamed the column (or even used a table alias in the query like r.count) you would find that the procedure wouldn't work at all the first time - it would raise NO_DATA_FOUND.

DATE and TYPE are also reserved words and should therefore also be avoided.

update

i changed the code but now it does nothing, no errors no inserts nothing

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE Ry385insert_Page (refind VARCHAR, ou VARCHAR, country VARCHAR, pagename VARCHAR, opendate VARCHAR)

IS
    ou_exists NUMBER(10,0);
    ref_exists NUMBER(10,0);
    country_exists NUMBER(10,0);
    ou_num NUMBER(10,0);
    ref_num NUMBER(10,0);
    country_num NUMBER(10,0);

BEGIN

SELECT COUNT(counter) INTO ou_exists FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPEDATA = 'OU' AND value = ou ;
    SELECT COUNT(counter) INTO ref_exists FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPEDATA = 'REFIND' AND value = refind ;
    SELECT COUNT(counter) INTO country_exists FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPEDATA = 'COUNTRY' AND value = country;
    SELECT counter INTO ou_num FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPEDATA = 'OU' AND value = ou ;
    SELECT counter INTO ref_num FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPEDATA = 'REFIND' AND value = refind ;
    SELECT counter INTO country_num FROM RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND TYPEDATA = 'COUNTRY' AND value = country;

IF (ou_exists = 0)
    THEN INSERT INTO RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE VALUES (TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') ,pagename, 'OU',ou,1);
    ELSE
    ou_num := ou_num + 1;
    UPDATE RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE SET counter = ou_num WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND page = pagename AND TYPEDATA = 'OU' AND value = ou ;
    END IF;

IF (ref_exists = 0)
    THEN INSERT INTO RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE VALUES (TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') ,pagename, 'REFIND',refind, 1);
    ELSE
    ref_num := ref_num + 1;
    UPDATE RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE SET counter = ref_num WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND page = pagename AND TYPEDATA = 'REFIND' AND value = refind ;
    END IF;

IF (country_exists = 0)
    THEN INSERT INTO RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE VALUES (TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') ,pagename, 'COUNTRY',country,1);
    ELSE
    country_num := country_num + 1;
    UPDATE RY385REPORTING_PAGE_USAGE SET counter = country_num WHERE datetime = TO_DATE(opendate , 'YYYY MM DD') AND page = pagename AND TYPEDATA = 'COUNTRY' AND value = country ;
    END IF;

END;

Provided Answers: 1

Re: update

You should get this error now as I do (and would expect when table is empty):

SQL> exec Ry385insert_page('EPT-CSG','SIEP','RIJ-KES','page1','2004-03-16')
    begin Ry385insert_page('EPT-CSG','SIEP','RIJ-KES','page1','2004-03-16'); end;

ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01403: no data found
    ORA-06512: at "TANDREWS.RY385INSERT_PAGE", line 16
    ORA-06512: at line 1

Cool solved

got i now, thnx for you help

But dont you think the procedure was using DATE keyword for variable, is that allowed

re:

I used freetoad to compile the stored procedure without any errors. And the first version posted here worked (not correct). So using words as TYPE or DATE doesn't see to be a problem.

I won't recommend it tough. It doesnt make the script very clear.

Originally posted by myaman
    But dont you think the procedure was using DATE keyword for variable, is that allowed