Unanswered: Tutorial: Convert Access Reports -> PDF

Have been trying to find a good way to convert access reports to PDF effortlessly, and http://www.mvps.org/access/reports/rpt0011.htm didn't quite work either; even if it did, it would prompt you for the file output address....so here's a easier one to use. I used a few modules from their site, but others are completely new.

Step 1: Add a postscript port

1) Open the Control Panel
    2) Double-Click on Printers
    3) Right click in the Window that opens, but not on a Printer Icon (on the background somewhere),
    Select "Server Properties".
    4) Go to the "Ports" tab.
    5) Click "Add Port".
    6) Select "Local Port" and click "New Port".
    7) When prompted for the port name, enter the full path and file name of the PostScript file. This is just a temp location to output your postscript file...i put it to C:\Output.ps

Step 2: Add a postscript printer

1)Add a new printer
    2)Make sure it uses the new postscript port that you made just now
    3)Select the printer from a list...and choose "AGFA-AccuSet v52.3" (most common printer, if you want to choose another one, you have to change a line in the code)
    4)Dont set it as a default

Step 3: Add my modules
    1)Attached is a db with all the required modules.
    2)Add those modules to your database.
    3)Open one of the modules and go to Tools->References; make sure
    Acrobat Access 2.0 Type Library
    Acrobat Distiller

are selected

Step 4: Use the function!
    now all you need to do is just use the function
    ExportToPDF(Reportname As String, FileName As String, ReportChoose As Boolean)

Where ReportChoose indicates whether ur exporting a report or a query.
    True - Report
    False - Query

e.g ExportToPDF "MyBusinessReport", "C:\BusinessReport.pdf", True

Thats all folks! Took me a while to code this...and i know its frustrating not to have good resources...so i decided to help others around me.

Thx!

NOTE***I SET MY OUTPUT POSTSCRIPT IN THE POSTSCRIPT PORT SETTING AS BEING "C:\Output.ps"; if you set it differently, then in the PDFWriter module, change this line,

aDist.FileToPDF "C:\output.ps", FileName, ""

at the bottom of the module to reflect the settings you chose.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you!

Jerry,

I generate PDF's often and this will help a lot. It's been a manual process until now (report to .PS to Distiller).

Thanks a bunch,

CP

Addendum:

NOTE*** ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL; OR IF YOU HAVE ADOBE DISTILLER

What I'm doing is using CutePDF ... Google for it. Basically it creates a PDF spooler in conjuction with a ghost writer allows you to dump an access report into a PDF file ...

I found CutePDF too, it's a neat little program...Free too!

However, that was the problem, my boss was afraid of it because it was free, but then I found an even better program:

pdfMachine at http://www.pdfMachine.com

It's a great program, and it does even more than cutePDF. Our biggest requirement was to add our letterhead as a background to what we were printing in the .pdf, and pdfMachine does it all in one step by just clicking print.

Adobe Acrobat lets you add backgrounds, and even lets you batch process files, but it's still two steps:
    1. Print to .pdf
    2. Add background to .pdf

With pdfMachine, it's all one step, it's the greatest thing ever. And in my boss's eyes, it has to be better because it costs money. But it's only $49, and even has a lot of the features of Acrobat such as adding a toolbar to all of the Microsoft Office applications.

Check it out!