Unanswered: Combobox with 4 language database HELP!

Please help with combo box functionality!

I've got a database of English, Spanish, and Portuguese verbs, which is comprised of four tables. I've created a query that includes all of the fields of each table.

Here is my problem:

(1) Enter a new infinitive (enter a new record in fields tblInfinitives.fldInfId, tblInfinitives.fldInfEng, tblInfinitives.fldInfEsp, and tblInfinitives.fldInfPor).

(2) Then populate field "tblInfinitives.fldConId" by selecting from a combo box, with control source "tblConjugations.fldConId".

(3) On form "frmVerbs" the text boxes with record sources "tblInfinitives.fldInfId, tblInfinitives.fldInfEng, tblInfinitives.fldInfEsp, and tblInfinitives.fldInfPor" display right, and the combo box drops down the choices, but then nothing happens when I select from the combo box. I just get an error. How do I "turn on" the combo box?

The database is attached.

The fields and relationships of the four tables are as follows...

tblInfinitives
    fldInfId
    fldConId
    fldInfEng
    fldInfEsp
    fldInfPor

Field "tblInfinitives.fldConId" has many records related to one of each record in "tblConjugations.fldConId"

tblConjugations
    fldConId
    fldConEsp
    fldEspTenseId
    fldConPor
    fldPorTenseId

"tblConjugations.fldEspTenseId" has a one to one relationship with "tblEspTenses.fldEspTenseId"

tblEspTenses
    fldEspTenseId
    fldEspPresentParticiple
    fldEspPastParticiple
    fldEspImperative

"tblConjugations.fldPorTenseId" has a one to one relationship with "tblEspTenses.fldPorTenseId"

tblPorTenses
    fldPorTenseId
    fldPorPresentParticiple
    fldPorPastParticiple
    fldPorImperative
    Attached Files Attached Files

What do you me by "turn on"? Is the combobox disabled? Or do you need to figure out how to pull data from the columns of the combobox?

Pull data...

Poor choice of words, I recon, your Grand Poobahness. Thanks for replying so quickly.

The data for the combo box is there. I just need it to work.

I've got a way more elaborate database that works similarly, which has functionality for creating new records, that is, if a record needs to be created to populate the combo box. Not to confuse things. I just wanted you to know that I've banged and banged my head on this, trying to adapt what works elsewhere, but to no avail.

I know that what I need to do is very simple. I'm just a hack, and I hate that! I don't develop stuff often enough with Access to have the skills I really want, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

I attached the little database in the initial post.

Thanks...

Re: Pull data...

Originally posted by etalent
    Poor choice of words, I recon, your Grand Poobahness. Thanks for replying so quickly.

The data for the combo box is there. I just need it to work.

I've got a way more elaborate database that works similarly, which has functionality for creating new records, that is, if a record needs to be created to populate the combo box. Not to confuse things. I just wanted you to know that I've banged and banged my head on this, trying to adapt what works elsewhere, but to no avail.

I know that what I need to do is very simple. I'm just a hack, and I hate that! I don't develop stuff often enough with Access to have the skills I really want, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

I attached the little database in the initial post.

Thanks...
    Ok ... How is it supposed to work?

How it's supposed to work...

First, here are the controls...

(1) Form "frmVerbs"
    (2) 3 text boxes
    (3) 1 combo box

On form "frmVerbs" the control sources of the 3 text boxes are "tblInfinitives.fldInfEng," "tblInfinitives.fldInfEsp," and "tblInfinitives.fldInfPor," respectively.

The control source of the combo box is "tblConjugations.fldConId."

Here is the desired functionality of the controls...

(1) Enter a value in each of the 3 text boxes
    (2) Select a value from the combo box

Step #1 creates records in fields "tblInfinitives.fldInfId," "tblInfinitives.fldInfEng," "tblInfinitives.fldInfEsp," and "tblInfinitives.fldInfPor.

Step #2 creates a record in field "tblInfinitives.fldConId."

That is what I want to happen so far.

Next I'm going to put text boxes on form "frmVerbs," with control sources from the fields comprising "tblEspTenses" and "tblPorTenses."

Please tell me whether or not that is clearer. Again, the database is attached to the original post.

-Thanks

Re: How it's supposed to work...

Originally posted by etalent
    First, here are the controls...

(1) Form "frmVerbs"
    (2) 3 text boxes
    (3) 1 combo box

On form "frmVerbs" the control sources of the 3 text boxes are "tblInfinitives.fldInfEng," "tblInfinitives.fldInfEsp," and "tblInfinitives.fldInfPor," respectively.

The control source of the combo box is "tblConjugations.fldConId."

Here is the desired functionality of the controls...

(1) Enter a value in each of the 3 text boxes
    (2) Select a value from the combo box

Step #1 creates records in fields "tblInfinitives.fldInfId," "tblInfinitives.fldInfEng," "tblInfinitives.fldInfEsp," and "tblInfinitives.fldInfPor.

Step #2 creates a record in field "tblInfinitives.fldConId."

That is what I want to happen so far.

Next I'm going to put text boxes on form "frmVerbs," with control sources from the fields comprising "tblEspTenses" and "tblPorTenses."

Please tell me whether or not that is clearer. Again, the database is attached to the original post.

-Thanks
    Are you going to check for duplicates? At what point does the contents of each textbox get saved?

Clarification...

Check for duplicates? I don't think that would be necessary, because field "fldConId" is the autonumbered primary key field of table "tblConjugations," so there should be no duplicates automatically, right?

At which time do the textboxes get saved? Once the value of the combo box has been set.