Thread: DBA interview

Unanswered: DBA interview

i need help regarding DBA interview..can anybody share thier experience in DB2 DBA interview as i am facing interview soon.

thanks in advance

Re: DBA interview

If this is for a production DBA , there will be two areas of focus :

1) What are the problems(technical) you have faced in the past and how you solved them ?
    You may not be able(or atleast I can't) to give a spontaneous and impressive response ... So, I would suggest you to make a list of critical problems you faced in your previous jobs and how you solved them ... You may pick up the most challenging problem to project as the interviewer may not want to listen to your full list

2) How will you respond to incidents ?
    When will you escalte the issues ? When will you inform your manager(or business) of the problem ? Will you be willing to take help from a collegue you think may know how to tackle the issue ? What will your approach be, ie root cause analysis or fix problem ?(remember in production, fixing the problem is the primary focus) and more

If this is for a Dev DBA , it will be more technical on the DB2 features, which is better questions(say, DMS or SMS tablespace) , SQL Tuning etc. You may also be expected to have a thorough knowledge in implementation of security, backup/recovery, runstats/reorg/other housekeeping tasks etc.

In either case, you may want to demonstrate your team playing skills, problem solving, performance monitoring/tuning skills ...

Other general things as it applies to DBA interviews :
    1) Always understand your interviewr's background ... This is very important if he/she is not a DB2 DBA ... This will help you to make sure you put forword yourself in a manner they will understand your true potential ...

2) Make sure you know the technical environment in that comapny and why they want someone for the role ? For eg, if the environment is a OLTP, then it makes more sense to project your OLTP experience that your Datawarehouse experience ...

Hope this helps ...

Good luck with your interview and please do share write your experiences to this forum after your interview ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by vanishree_nh
    i need help regarding DBA interview..can anybody share thier experience in DB2 DBA interview as i am facing interview soon.

thanks in advance
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

You can visit this link in a4academics for complete set of interview questions in MysQL, Oracle and SQL Server Hope this link helps