International Address

I am looking for the best way to design a database with the ability to store international addresses as well as US addresses. Can anyone point me in the direction of sample code or a sample design? If there is a list of all countries and postal information that would be nice too, but for the most part I just need to create the format.

Check the International Postal Union for details on what constitute valid addresses. You can use that information to create a schema that suits you.

-PatP

Thank you I will check it out.

Re: International Address

Originally posted by cmptrguru7
    I am looking for the best way to design a database with the ability to store international addresses as well as US addresses. Can anyone point me in the direction of sample code or a sample design? If there is a list of all countries and postal information that would be nice too, but for the most part I just need to create the format.
    i remember someone once did a design to flexibly handle all kinds of addresses - be it a US address, or an address from Timbuktu.

each address record would actually occupy several records in the database, and each would have a type flag to form a PK. some sort of "linked-list" design.

he adds that he remembers this design from an IBM whitepaper on how to design databases for financial institutions

Re: International Address

Originally posted by cmptrguru7
    guess i remembered how it is done

i had attached an ERD for your perusal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails temp.jpg