Unanswered: Starting mySQL Server

I had a mySQL DB up and running, but it has suddenly stopped working. I am unable to start the DB at all, even trying several methods. It is a localhost connection, and I have tried starting it from the command line (mysql\bin\mysqld), NET START mysql, from the MS Services window, etc... I even tried removing it and reinstalling it.

When I try to start it from the command line, it just hangs for a min or so then returns me to the prompt. When I try to use one of the mySQL debugger functions like --log or --console it hangs indefinitely, and thus the log files (even trace files) haven't been particularly helpful. I did check with -V to make sure it was installed with debugger, and it was.

When I try to start it from the Services window, I get an error that says %1 is not a valid system32 application. I looked this up, and a few sources suggested looking at the regKEY for this, but they look fine to me.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty much stuck at this point. Thanks!

What you can try (this is how I usually get it to work) is run the "WinMySQLAdmin" program. You should get a little traffic light in your system tray. Once you get that, right click on it, Select "WinNT > Install Service" and see if that does the trick. Always works for me.

Thanks for the advice. When I do mysqladmin > NT > start service, it gives me a message saying 'failed to start service. please wait 30 sec before trying again.' :-(

Maybe I'll just try to remove it using mysqladmin and reinstall it...

IT WORKS!

Hey -- I did end up using winmysqladmin to remove, then reinstall the service. Took about 3 seconds, and worked perfectly. Not entirely sure why this worked, but THANK YOU!