Unanswered: Date inserted as 12:00:08 A.M

Hi All,
    I looked through this forum and could not, for the life of me, find anything that could help me solve this problem. I appreciate any help/feedback i could get.

Here is the situation. I have a text box (yes, ou read it right, a TEXT BOX) on a form. The text box is used for the user to enter in a date (like for example: 3/17/2004).

The problem is this. Whenever I try to add a r ecord into a table (into a DATE feild), I use

DateValue(sometextbox.text)

and in the debugger it shows a correct date. But when its added to the database it shows as

12:00:08 A.m or 12/31/1899
    ???

Can anyone help/

Thanx

Hi shassouneh,

The example date you gave

3/17/2004

is evaluated as

3 divided by 17 divided by 2004

which equals a really tiny number that, when translated to a date, equates to something like 12:00:08 A.m.

Try using the CVDate() function, rather than the DateValue() function to change the text to a date.

Let me know how it works out.
    JT

Still No Good!

I tried what you suggested with the CVDate. it STILL does the same thing. The screen shots below help show how it gets added. Note that Screenshot 1 shows 1899 and screenshot two shows 12 a.m (both are the same record). When you put the mouse cursor over it it switches form 1899 to 12 a.m

Screenshot 1 A year of 1899????
    http://shassouneh.homestead.com/file...ogood-1899.jpg

Screenshot 2 A time of 12 a.m????
    http://shassouneh.homestead.com/file...ogood-12am.jpg

NOTE: Here is the Sub that is responsible for adding stuff to the table. it works perfectly apart from the date problems.

Code:
    Private Sub cmdAdd_Click()
    Dim ID As Integer
    Dim Creator As String
    Dim Name As String
    Dim Desc As String
    Dim Dept As Integer
    Dim Templ As Integer
    Dim VAX As String
    Dim DateCreated As Date
    Dim DateSuspended As Date
    Dim Active As Integer

Dim SQL As String

If (ProblemsFound = False) Then 'if and only if no problems found

lblStatus.Caption = "Watch Here For Status Messages -->" & vbCrLf & "Attempting to add or associate. Please wait..."

cmbobxOpID.SetFocus
        ID = CInt(cmbobxOpID.text)

txtbxName.SetFocus
        Name = txtbxName.text

txtbxDescription.SetFocus
        Desc = txtbxDescription.text

cmbobxDept.SetFocus
        Dept = cmbobxDept.Value

cmbobxTempl.SetFocus
        Templ = cmbobxTempl.Value

txtbxVAX.SetFocus
        VAX = txtbxVAX.text

txtbxCreator.SetFocus
        Creator = txtbxCreator.text

txtbxDateCreated.SetFocus
        DateCreated = CVDate(txtbxDateCreated.text)

txtbxDateSuspended.SetFocus

chkbxActive.SetFocus
        Active = chkbxActive.Value

txtbxDateSuspended.SetFocus

If (IsNull(txtbxDateSuspended) Or txtbxDateSuspended.text = "") Then 'If no date suspended has been entered...

'attempt to add into DB without a date suspended

SQL = "INSERT into OPERATOR([Operator ID],[Creator],[Name],[Description],[Department ID],[Template ID], [VAX ID],[Date Created], [Active]) values(" & ID & "," & "'" & Creator & "'" & "," & "'" & Name & "'" & "," & "'" & Desc & "'" & "," & Dept & "," & Templ & "," & "'" & VAX & "'" & "," & DateCreated & "," & Active & ");"

Else

DateSuspended = CVDate(txtbxDateSuspended.text)
            SQL = "INSERT into OPERATOR([Operator ID],[Creator],[Name],[Description],[Department ID],[Template ID], [VAX ID],[Date Created],[Date Suspended],[Active]) values(" & ID & "," & "'" & Creator & "'" & "," & "'" & Name & "'" & "," & "'" & Desc & "'" & "," & Dept & "," & Templ & "," & "'" & VAX & "'" & "," & DateCreated & "," & DateSuspended & "," & Active & ");"

End If

MsgBox SQL
        Call RunSQL_force_withdescription(SQL, "Are you Sure You want to make changes to the database?", "The Operation You Requested will make some changes to the database. this may or may not have undo functionality. Do you still wish to make the changes?")
        lblStatus.Caption = "Watch Here For Status Messages -->" & vbCrLf & "Add/Associate attempt done!"

Else

MsgBox "Note: Some Problems Have been Found. The Operator has NOT been added or associated. Check the status area for details"

End If

cmdAdd.Enabled = False 'revert to a default of disabled until the user selects or adds an Op ID

End Sub

NOTE: The ProblemsFound is a function that basically checks to make sure all items in the form have been filled out. If they have not it returns a false. Otherwise, it returns a true
    Last edited by shassouneh; 03-18-04 at 17:53.

Can you post the sql (if you're appending the record with a query), or the code you're using?

Hi just a thought - maybe youve checked already but here goes.....

Is the text box set in the input mask to a date ( this will stop --/--/--) style entries

is the receiving table set as a shortdate?

if both of these are yes i suggest deleting the box and using the table listing drop in a new text box in case youve a slight corrupt there

gareth

garethfx --> The table's date feilds are set to SHORT DATE. The text boxes do NOT have any input masks (I doubt that should be a problem though?).

JTRockville --> I edited my reply above. It now includes the sub that does the adding. The SQL is stored in a string called "SQL"
    Last edited by shassouneh; 03-18-04 at 17:50.

Try this (note the bolded part).

Code:
        If (IsNull(txtbxDateSuspended) Or txtbxDateSuspended.text = "") Then 'If no date suspended has been entered...

SQL = "INSERT into OPERATOR([Operator ID],[Creator],[Name],[Description],[Department ID],[Template ID], [VAX ID],[Date Created], [Active]) values(" & ID & "," & "'" & Creator & "'" & "," & "'" & Name & "'" & "," & "'" & Desc & "'" & "," & Dept & "," & Templ & "," & "'" & VAX & "'" & ",CVDate(""" & txtbxDateCreated.text & """)," & Active & ");"

Else

SQL = "INSERT into OPERATOR([Operator ID],[Creator],[Name],[Description],[Department ID],[Template ID], [VAX ID],[Date Created],[Date Suspended],[Active]) values(" & ID & "," & "'" & Creator & "'" & "," & "'" & Name & "'" & "," & "'" & Desc & "'" & "," & Dept & "," & Templ & "," & "'" & VAX & "'" & ",CVDate(""" & txtbxDateCreated.text & """),CVDate(""" & txtbxDateSuspended.text & """)," & Active & ");"

End If

I used Copy/Paste using the code you gave (of course after commenting out mine), and that fixed the issue of adding without a date suspended. Adding WITH a date suspended gives me problems with setFocus since in the SQL statement we use 2 CVDate() thingies

How can I get around this?

Again, the problem is this:

",CVDate(""" & txtbxDateCreated.text & """),CVDate(""" & txtbxDateSuspended.text & """),"

We are using BOTH txtbxDateCreated and txtbxDateSuspended.

We can only have ONE setFocus statement before this.

Can i just use a variable like
    txtbxDateCreated.setFocus
    dc = CVDate(""" & txtbxDateCreated.text & """),
    txtbxDateSuspended.setFocus
    ds = CVDate(""" & txtbxDateSuspended.text & """),"

And isn't that what i originally tried in my code to no avail? HELP
    Last edited by shassouneh; 03-18-04 at 18:45.

try to change the format of the textbox to accept short date. the option is at the properties ->format tab.

Try it this way (using your original variables):

Code:

SQL = "INSERT into OPERATOR([Operator ID],[Creator],[Name],[Description],[Department ID],[Template ID], [VAX ID],[Date Created], [Active]) values(" & ID & "," & "'" & Creator & "'" & "," & "'" & Name & "'" & "," & "'" & Desc & "'" & "," & Dept & "," & Templ & "," & "'" & VAX & "'" & ",CVDate(""" & DateCreated & """)," & Active & ");"

Else

SQL = "INSERT into OPERATOR([Operator ID],[Creator],[Name],[Description],[Department ID],[Template ID], [VAX ID],[Date Created],[Date Suspended],[Active]) values(" & ID & "," & "'" & Creator & "'" & "," & "'" & Name & "'" & "," & "'" & Desc & "'" & "," & Dept & "," & Templ & "," & "'" & VAX & "'" & ",CVDate(""" & DateCreated & """),CVDate(""" & DateSuspended & """)," & Active & ");"

End If

10x

Thanx. That seems to work like a charm!