Question Unanswered: What Record_ID did I just create???

I am using vb6 to control a sqlServer database and need a little help.

I use a form to gather information about part inspections. The form has general information about the inspection (date/time, inspector, location, etc...) and the more specific information about the individual line items (part number, pass/fail, failure mode, etc...).

The general inspection info is in tblInspection.
    The more specific info is in tblInspection_Detail.

When I enter a new record into tblInspection - How do I know the Record_ID (the indexing primary key) for the record I just added?

I need to retain the new Record_ID value so that I can use it to identify what inspection each line item is associated with.

I'm sure this is a pretty easy one, but I am at a loss right now.

Many thanks,

Re: What Record_ID did I just create???

If you table has an identity field then the field gets populated when you add a new record. Once you add the new record just check the field value as the pointer moves to that new record. Here is an example:

Dim cn as ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs as ADODB.Recordset

Set cn = new ADODB.Connection

cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=DataBaseName;Data Source=ServerName"

set rs = new ADODB.recordset

rs.actiiveconnection = cn "SELECT * FROM TABLE"

rs. AddNew 'Adds New Record and moves pointer to the new record.

MsgBox rs.fields("Record_ID").value

set rs=nothing
    set cn = nothing

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

That didn't really's why:

I'm INSERTing the data from the form into the table with a stored procedure (w/ an INSERT sql statement).

<<<<< CODE Snippet >>>>>>>
    Set cmdInfo = New ADODB.Command
    With cmdInfo
    Set .ActiveConnection = g_cnDB
    .CommandText = "usp_Insert_Audit"
    .CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    End With

Set m_rsAudit = cmdInfo.Execute(, Array(cboAuditor.ItemData(cboAuditor.ListIndex), _
    cboMfgLine.ItemData(cboMfgLine.ListIndex), _
    cboPartNum.Text, _
    <<<< End CODE Snippet >>>>>

I use Execute instead of Open, so I can't use the .AddNew method.

I went down this path to minimize the traffic running between the application and the server (it's a remote application).

Anybody know how to find out what Audit_ID I just created with the Execute command?