Unanswered: Opinions on DAO vs. ADO

I am a knowledgable Access user and always use ADO for controlling the tables and recordsets of a DB. However, I am wondering what are the opinions of others out there on what to use and when to use it.

Is one format faster than the other?

Just wondering.

http://tinyurl.com/byxn
    In case you didn't have the M$ differences.

I find ADO exposes more objects and more of the object. So I've used ADO from a flexibility standpoint rather than a speedy one. I have also replaced ODBC linked tables with ADO connection calls for efficiency.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Smile Re: Opinions on DAO vs. ADO

Originally posted by mjweyland
    I am a knowledgable Access user and always use ADO for controlling the tables and recordsets of a DB. However, I am wondering what are the opinions of others out there on what to use and when to use it.

Is one format faster than the other?

Just wondering.
    ADO is probably the way to go from a future compatability and flexibility standpoint but DAO was optomized for Jet databases and still offers more specific capabilities for Access.
    Gregg

DAO, ADO, SQL, Automation and anything else I can pick up.

i prefer DAO buffer handling, and DAO is is sometimes faster. Not everything in DAO is implemented in ADO as basicmek comments.

but a question for HomerBoo:
    I have also replaced ODBC linked tables with ADO connection calls for efficiency.
    what do you mean "efficiency"?
    creating the connection?
    speed?
    or?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Since I use almost nothing but ADO I'll chime in on how much slower it is than DAO ... There is a 6 sec delay on writes that cannot be overcome/gotten around ... DAO doesn't have this problem ... DAO does have a limitation regarding DSN connections. You can't connect to an ODBC DB (access or otherwise ) using DAO thru a DSN (unless I'm mistaken - re: I don't know how) ...

That's my 2 cents ...

- Mike

what do you mean "efficiency"?
    creating the connection?
    speed?
    or?
    I would have to say (d) reliability, and maybe (e) flexibility

(d)
    If I have a SQL Server or Oracle Database that I want information from, using a linked table would usually result in a database hanging if the query was sufficiently complex (more than two tables or a complex WHERE). Using an ADO connection object with the correct provider (cf. creating the connection), I can query the database directly without needing to rely on the ODBC driver. I also use ADO for querying Excel files rather than an Intrinsic Access link or an ODBC link.

(e)
    I can also use the ADO connection object to apply updates to different regions within a given database (Oracle) or different databases by changing the connection string (UID/PWD component), this way I don't need to store and call different ODBC connections and provide a PWD for each (this may just be our specific network lockdowns, but I can't set up an ODBC conn here with a pass built it, UID seems okay). This can help keep data changes in synch easier.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.