Unanswered: set default value to a column

hi

how to set a default value to a column of an existing table.

the column name is acctdate this column should take a default value of current timestamp. what is the syntax to do it

bye
    ramakrishna

Drop and Recreate

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge you cannot change the datatype of a column that has data in it.

What you can do is go ahead exoport the data to a file. Drop the table and re-create the table and use the default parameter for the column and then import the data back again.

It's a tedious job however that's the only solution I know.

The other option is using a Tool like DBArtisan which will do the necessary however at the end it also follows the same procedure.

HTH

Nitin
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned

Re: Drop and Recreate

hi

thnx for the quick response. But it is difficult with db2 if we dont have this facility there may be live data. which may not permit me to always drop the table and recreate just to add a default value for a column on the fly.

But any way thanx for the response

Regards,
    ramakrishna

Re: Drop and Recreate

If you want to have a minimum downtime, you can create a 'shadow' table with the new defn , populate the data from the original table , then drop the table and rename the shadow table ..

Whether this will be a good approach depends on the nature of your data, other db structures dependent on it etc ...

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by ramakrishna
    hi

thnx for the quick response. But it is difficult with db2 if we dont have this facility there may be live data. which may not permit me to always drop the table and recreate just to add a default value for a column on the fly.

But any way thanx for the response

Regards,
    ramakrishna
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.