Thread: MySQL Question

Arrow Unanswered: MySQL Question

Hi, I am looking to create a MySQL db and would like to know how to do this, or a very good reference source. I am just starting out with this so I do not know enough. If someone could recommend some tutorials, books, people, or other sources of picking this up, it would be apprechiated. Thanks! J

I'm assuming you've seen this, but the absolute best place to go is the mysql manual. You can find it at: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html. It lets you search online for things, just like any search engine, and you can also download the manual as a .pdf and search for text that way. It starts from the top -- ex: what is mysql -- and leads you through installation, basic setup, etc... Also, in the downloads section of the page there are lots of useful tools like mysqlcontrolcenter that let you administer your DB, and they're all free.

Thanks

Hey, thanks for the info. I have the a PHP MySQL book that covers a lot but it's just a bit advanced for me at this point. I am going to download the pdf and begin to read over it. Do you use MySQL?

Yeah, I've used it a number of times. Using it with PHP is actually pretty easy. For a good PHP reference, look at http://phpnuke.org/.

Nice

Very cool. I have seen this site and am still getting a feel for it, php.net is the site I have been recently looking at. Thanks for your help. I can't wait to get running w/ MySQL and PHP interactively. That's my main target for now. So much to know so little time, thanks, Jason