Thread: Help, Please

Red face Help, Please

Hi,

my home PC is not functioning correctly, I think I may have a virus, the question is, which one?? How do I define what I have. The virus slows my CPU and shows usage of 100% if I try to execute any .exe files, it will not allow my "Anti-Virus Software" (Kaspersky) to update online (Broadband connection) it will not allow me to open any Email whatsoever, also tried a clean re-boot using norton anti-virus 2004 and it failed to find any problem, went to symantec online, tried online scan, it failed as the virus disabled java. I had some antivirus software on a USB memory stick and it rendered the stick in-operable.

Any help / suggestions will be greatly apppreciated.

Regards

Paul

Maybe try to make a virus scan disk on another computer and scan yours? I know some virusscanners have the option don't know about that one though(Kaspersky).

Smile Re: Help, Please

Paul,

Try downloading an evaluation copy of McAfee Virusscan (http://www.mcafee.com) and update to the latest dats and run the scan again because in plain english..... Norton SUCKS!! Aside from that it seems like your problems are more resource related then Virus related. Try increasing the size of your swap files and be sure to check your hard disk space. If you dont have at least 500mb free then you might want to start there before declaring your system infected!! Good luck!!

Steve VV

Originally posted by pjandrews
    Hi,

my home PC is not functioning correctly, I think I may have a virus, the question is, which one?? How do I define what I have. The virus slows my CPU and shows usage of 100% if I try to execute any .exe files, it will not allow my "Anti-Virus Software" (Kaspersky) to update online (Broadband connection) it will not allow me to open any Email whatsoever, also tried a clean re-boot using norton anti-virus 2004 and it failed to find any problem, went to symantec online, tried online scan, it failed as the virus disabled java. I had some antivirus software on a USB memory stick and it rendered the stick in-operable.

Any help / suggestions will be greatly apppreciated.

Regards

Paul

Re: Help, Please

Steve VV

Thanks for the help, I have solved the problem, I ran Stinger and it cleared the virus, then I was able to install Norton and Zone Alarm, very surprised about the number of times other IP addresses try and Ping me etc .... Anyway, thanks again

Paul

Originally posted by stevejvv
    Paul,

Try downloading an evaluation copy of McAfee Virusscan (http://www.mcafee.com) and update to the latest dats and run the scan again because in plain english..... Norton SUCKS!! Aside from that it seems like your problems are more resource related then Virus related. Try increasing the size of your swap files and be sure to check your hard disk space. If you dont have at least 500mb free then you might want to start there before declaring your system infected!! Good luck!!

Steve VV