Thread: ASP and Access

Unanswered: ASP and Access

Hello,

Here's my question.

Im running a quasi-webserver from my place. Its a school project. Its running fine and dandy. However I needed to upload it to a domain I own in order to have access to if for a presentation.

I uploaded all the pages and the databases. Is it legit to have the db physically on the domain? I can't seem to get it working.

Thanks.

Legit? Definately, although you run the risk of it being available for people to grab depending on where in your site you have placed it...

Your problems probably come from the method you use to connect to the db or due to the fact that your host doesn't supprot asp....

What problems exactly are you having??

Originally posted by rokslide
    Legit? Definately, although you run the risk of it being available for people to grab depending on where in your site you have placed it...

Your problems probably come from the method you use to connect to the db or due to the fact that your host doesn't supprot asp....

What problems exactly are you having??

Well i was using:

Code:
        'Open the Connection
        Set usrConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    	' Attempt to open connection
    	usrConn.Open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" & _
          "dbq=c:\data\data.mdb"
    to open my db. not sure really what to use now... i tried using the address that it was stored on the web but not dice.

thanks.

when you say the address that was stored on the web what do you mean?

You should probably look at using mappath to locate the actual drive location for the database file. That should solve your problem if it's a location problem.

Basically I have a web domain. And I want everything to reside on it. So I want the database and all the asp pages to be on the domain so it can be stand alone.... i'll check out mappath.

try this....
    Code:
        'Open the Connection
        Set usrConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    	' Attempt to open connection
    	usrConn.Open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" & _
          "dbq=" & mappath("data.mdb")
    assuming that your data.mdb file is in the same location as your asp page that is making the connection

Without wanting to state the obvious, does your host support the use of a DB and, if so, have they given you a specific location to put it in?