Exclamation Unanswered: Multiuser db in an XP workgroup network.

I'm trying to put together an Access 2003 (front/back end) database that will be used in a small workgroup (11 workstations) with one of them working as the server (Win XP Home on all computers). The system is all done and did great in testing with four computers, but now that I'm ready to go live, when I try to use more than five workstations at the same time, the 'server workstation' refuses all new connections (even if it is for browsing shared files!!!). I checked all system resources on the 'server workstation' under heavy workload using four client machines, and it all looks like both the 'server workstation' and the network can handle 10 times that much, so I am assuming that the problem is a Win XP (Home edition) limit on the number of open network connections... Has anyone run into this problem? I am really desperate! Any pointers would be much appreciated!!! Thanks

Re: Multiuser db in an XP workgroup network.

Originally posted by matatan
    I'm trying to put together an Access 2003 (front/back end) database that will be used in a small workgroup (11 workstations) with one of them working as the server (Win XP Home on all computers). The system is all done and did great in testing with four computers, but now that I'm ready to go live, when I try to use more than five workstations at the same time, the 'server workstation' refuses all new connections (even if it is for browsing shared files!!!). I checked all system resources on the 'server workstation' under heavy workload using four client machines, and it all looks like both the 'server workstation' and the network can handle 10 times that much, so I am assuming that the problem is a Win XP (Home edition) limit on the number of open network connections... Has anyone run into this problem? I am really desperate! Any pointers would be much appreciated!!! Thanks
    Are you hosting the DB on a XP Server? If the OS is "WorkStation" then you have only a 10 connection limit ...

Yeah I'm hosting the DB on an XP home edition workstation. I'm getting a 5 connections limit though... Either way, I guess that means that I have to switch that machine to XP pro or ~2000 server. Thanks for your help M Owen.
    Last edited by matatan; 03-21-04 at 02:22.