Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: DBNETLIB Error

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    45

    Unanswered: DBNETLIB Error

    Hi All,

    I have a problem with a specific query which causes the error below. It runs fine on the server but refuses to work on my Query Analyzer.

    select a.cola
    from tablea a
    where a.cola not in (select b.cola from tableb b)


    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionRead (WrapperRead()).
    Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
    General network error. Check your network documentation.

    Connection Broken

    I have MDAC 2.8 installed. SQL Server 2000. There are no entries in the logs, no backups running or deadlocks detected. My Collegues machine runs it fine?

    Any Ideas please? All help gratefully received...

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,578
    Are you on windows 2003?
    Try to execute other query statements to ensure no issues on your client machine.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12
    I was encountering similar problems with an application that retrieves data from a remote server (some SQL7, some SQL2K) and inserts into the local server (SQL2K in my case). A particular query ran in T-SQL but not from the ADO object when querying a SQL7 remote server; other queries worked fine.

    In DBForums I saw many references to issues with MDAC 2.8, so I rolled MDAC back to 2.6 and discovered that a "Timeout Expired." error was being returned to my app. I then tried the query against another remote server and it worked fine. Looks like:

    1 - MDAC 2.8 was shielding me from being able to see the real error, which was a timeout on the SQLServer 7 remote server.
    2 - SQL7 or MDAC on the remote server was having trouble handling the query; KB 300519 recommends applying SQL7 SP4.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12
    I was encountering similar problems with an application that retrieves data from a remote server (some SQL7, some SQL2K) and inserts into the local server (SQL2K in my case). A particular query ran in T-SQL but not from the ADO object when querying a SQL7 remote server; other queries worked fine.

    In DBForums I saw many references to issues with MDAC 2.8, so I rolled MDAC back to 2.6 and discovered that a "Timeout Expired." error was being returned to my app. I then tried the query against another remote server and it worked fine. Looks like:

    1 - MDAC 2.8 was shielding me from being able to see the real error, which was a timeout on the SQLServer 7 remote server.
    2 - SQL7 or MDAC on the remote server was having trouble handling the query; KB 300519 recommends applying SQL7 SP4.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,578
    In any case ensure to maintain similar versions of MDAC if this kind of data compilation is involved.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •