Unanswered: URGENT! Installation problem.

Hey,
    I'm trying to setup my Visual Basic program which I packaged with the package and deployment wizard. The problem is this,

I created the setup on a windows XP and it works fine on my computer.

I tried installing it on a windows 98 and a windows 2000 (not tested it on another XP though) and I received something like "some of your files are out of date do you want setup to update them?"

If I say no, the program exits.

If I choose yes it asks me if I want to restart (as it is appearently necessary to update the file) then I reset.

Then the problem happens again :|

(I hate it when programs are lying :\)

The program includes Data Access and stuff like OLEDB Jet ..

Can anyone help me?

This is kidna important.

Thanks,
    Chen
    Last edited by Wolverchenus; 03-19-04 at 14:50.

Provided Answers: 54
    What release/service pack of VB? What release/service pack of Windoze-98? Especially if that is the first edition (gold) of 98, it can be REALLY tempermental about VB.NET packages, even if the .NET runtime has been appplied.

Can you include any screenshots of error messages?

-PatP

It's VB6 Enterprise edition.

It happend in Windows 98 and Windows 2000

The message goes as followed:

"Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. click ok if you wold like setup to update these files for you now"

Naturally the other option exits the wizard..

I've seen some peculiar issues with the Visual Studio 6 deployment tools when they are run on an XP machine. Is there an easy way to rebuild your package on either a 98 SE machine or a Win-2000 machine?

-PatP

You're saying that if I compile the package on a lesser OS it might work?

I'll try it

In the meantime, if anyone have other suggestions..

I've had no problems going from one OS to a later OS, but I've been bitten more than once trying to go to an earlier OS.

-PatP

Re: URGENT! Installation problem.

usually setup ask to restart when setup is trying to update msvbvm60.dll and msvcrt.dll.
    Check those files are not readonly and close any programms that uses those files and try again.
    If all fails get vb6sp5runtime from microsoft and install before installing your program.
    HTH

sivaroo:

I can't seem to see any program using these files nor can I find the file you've mentioned online..

Is there any chance I can simply not include those files in my installation and it will still work?

OK, without msvbvm60.dll and msvcrt.dll the installation proceeds and it works (it does prompt that some new files may threaten system stability). But the computer have visual basic on it. Will a computer without VB run it too without those files in the installation?

Conclusion

I removed the files msvbvm60.dll and msvcrt.dll from the installation and added VB6 Runtime files instead. Should work now.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Chen