Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    100

    Question Unanswered: Memo Screen delete randomly!! Please help

    Hi I am looking after a database on a old version of access, I think 97??

    And I have a problem that driving everyone nuts, the memo screen keeps deleting itself random, sometime the whole thing sometimes random chucks. First of all I though it was the user cutting and pasting from it and not understanding what they had done, but It's starting to look like a real problem. The memo feilds have no functionality pointing at them at all. So I'm guessing it got to be a deeper problem. Has anyone got any suggestions, or has anyone come across it as well. I got a feeling I'm going to have to upgrade the version of access, I'm using.

    Thanks for any help, Ed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dorset UK
    Posts
    147
    The only thing that I could think of, was that if that memo field was put into a form object (text box, listbox)..

    And if this form had an update record function.

    The result would be only 255 Characters in the memo field, as most objects have this limit.

    When you say deleted chunks, are we talking anywhere in the memo field or the characters at the end of the memo field ?

    ~

    OR another approach

    ~

    Copy the database and rename it. Make sure it is stand alone and doesnt use linked tables (and all that usual stuff!!)

    NOW, Delete the Memo field run all the forms, modules, macros and queries one by one and see if any come up with errors.

    ~

    Finally, no one has any front ends to this, like Excel, VB or another Database ?

    If they do, it could field restrictions within whatever they have.

    Thats all I can think of, with the info you have given.

    ~Ken

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    100

    Question Scratch head!

    It seems to delete chucks from anywhere in the memo field, the user do access it through a access front end with link table to another access database. It is accessed through a form object, is their anyway to alter the 255 character limitation?

    The memo field is part of some of the forms, so surely all of the forms that contained it would fall over. When I said no functionality I ment their was no automated updating of the memo field written in. Is it worth trying the duplication of the database and deletion of the memo field anyway?

    I don't think anyone has any other front end so that shouldn’t be a problem, however we do have multiple people accesses the same table through, access front ends.

    Erm Thanks for any help!

    Ed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,713
    Originally posted by Ken_Hart
    The only thing that I could think of, was that if that memo field was put into a form object (text box, listbox)..

    And if this form had an update record function.

    The result would be only 255 Characters in the memo field, as most objects have this limit.

    When you say deleted chunks, are we talking anywhere in the memo field or the characters at the end of the memo field ?

    ~

    OR another approach

    ~

    Copy the database and rename it. Make sure it is stand alone and doesnt use linked tables (and all that usual stuff!!)

    NOW, Delete the Memo field run all the forms, modules, macros and queries one by one and see if any come up with errors.

    ~

    Finally, no one has any front ends to this, like Excel, VB or another Database ?

    If they do, it could field restrictions within whatever they have.

    Thats all I can think of, with the info you have given.

    ~Ken
    Ken,

    The textbox control itself has a 65535 char limit ... I don't know how the update is being handled ... My experience with memo fields is that binding to one should not pose any problems with updating. Since I have nothing but unbound controls, I have to use the AppendChunk method of the ADO recordset object ... And I've not ever has "missing chunks" happen to a memo field.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dorset UK
    Posts
    147
    Originally posted by M Owen
    Ken,

    The textbox control itself has a 65535 char limit ... I don't know how the update is being handled ... My experience with memo fields is that binding to one should not pose any problems with updating. Since I have nothing but unbound controls, I have to use the AppendChunk method of the ADO recordset object ... And I've not ever has "missing chunks" happen to a memo field.
    Hmmm what version of Access you got ? For some reason, my textboxes look like 255. I tried to populate a textbox with a memo field of 300 characters and it didn't show the last 45..

    Same as a listbox, I tried that too, it takes off the last 45 characters.

    I'm using Access2000.

    ~coolest regards

    Ken

    PS Have a great weekend, I'm off in a mo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dorset UK
    Posts
    147
    Forget it, I was looking at something different.

    You're absolutely correct, textbox is 65k+

    I'd used a textbox linked to listbox..That cuts it up.

    Sorry.

    Ken

    (you live and learn...then forget!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •