Unanswered: simple question for new user, change field control source from one table to another

I am very new to this world and intend to train up alot more over time, My first go at a database has me stuck, can any help. I have several tables all linked. one to many etc, and noe created a form and have several fields linked to two tables. However I need to cahange a field data control source to look at a new table and field. = [CENTRE]![CENTRE id NO] is what I have put in the string. 'centre' is the new table and 'centre id' is the new field. when form is run a #name is shown in the field. I have tried to run A query listing all fields that I need from the three tables, but when run query only the field names are shown and not the data in the record. I am aware that this very basic but 'hey' we all have to start some were. cheers

Re: simple question for new user, change field control source from one table to another

Originally posted by piggybax
    I am very new to this world and intend to train up alot more over time, My first go at a database has me stuck, can any help. I have several tables all linked. one to many etc, and noe created a form and have several fields linked to two tables. However I need to cahange a field data control source to look at a new table and field. = [CENTRE]![CENTRE id NO] is what I have put in the string. 'centre' is the new table and 'centre id' is the new field. when form is run a #name is shown in the field. I have tried to run A query listing all fields that I need from the three tables, but when run query only the field names are shown and not the data in the record. I am aware that this very basic but 'hey' we all have to start some were. cheers
    The ControlSource of a control binds to a column of the table bound to the form the control is on ... What I think you're looking to do is mod the RowSource ... What is your intent here?

Provided Answers: 1
    Use Me.RecordSource to change the forms's boundend datatSource

Me.RecordSource="aTableName"
    Me.RecordSource="aQueryName"

Re: simple question for new user, change field control source from one table to another

Originally posted by M Owen
    The ControlSource of a control binds to a column of the table bound to the form the control is on ... What I think you're looking to do is mod the RowSource ... What is your intent here?

Hi many thanks for your reply, first sorry about the spelling, rushed question as I was booted off internet half way through the first draft, so rushed second. ...My intent is to have centre id field insert number from centre table. form was created with great detail on the content, yet one field was left out when created, I created an unbound field and want to link to a table that was not used in the form creation. hope this helps. online now awaiting any replys. also I have tried to change record source in form properities to the table I require but then all the other fields linked to my first and second table show #name mistake. on the field properity I cannot change the record source, or can I? cheers
    Last edited by piggybax; 03-19-04 at 10:12.