Red face Unanswered: multiple filters on a form

good Friday folks,

i'm trying to do something which i think should be pretty simple, but i can't seem to make it work.

i have a form, it's a data entry form, on which i'd like to be able to filter the records 2 or 3 times.

for example, the database has records from 2003 and 2004. the first filter would be for selecting the year.

the next filter would be to filter those records that belong to a particular "rep".

the next filter would be a particular client.

so, the problem: how do i do one filter at a time and have the filters build on each other?

thanks
    myles

Re: multiple filters on a form

Originally posted by MylesEngland
    good Friday folks,

i'm trying to do something which i think should be pretty simple, but i can't seem to make it work.

i have a form, it's a data entry form, on which i'd like to be able to filter the records 2 or 3 times.

for example, the database has records from 2003 and 2004. the first filter would be for selecting the year.

the next filter would be to filter those records that belong to a particular "rep".

the next filter would be a particular client.

so, the problem: how do i do one filter at a time and have the filters build on each other?

thanks
    myles
    How are you (or should ask) how do you want to stack the filters up? Ordinarily you'd concat filters together with ANDs and ORs ...

Provided Answers: 1
    When you apply "filters" what you're really doing is building the WHERE clause for the underlying query. Within the WHERE clause, you can specify all the criteria you would like by using AND & OR.

eg:

SELECT *
    FROM t1
    WHERE (YEAR(t1.date) IN (2003,2004)) AND t1.rep_id = 4 AND t1.client_id = 6

Re: multiple filters on a form

I guess what I had in mind was....

1 Filter (combo box) to select the year, which would return all records from that year with another combo box to select the rep, which would return all records for that rep.

So the user would do the filters one at a time.

Originally posted by M Owen
    How are you (or should ask) how do you want to stack the filters up? Ordinarily you'd concat filters together with ANDs and ORs ...

Provided Answers: 1
    Search for "cascading combo boxes"

How about using a continuous form with a search header. In the search header put check boxes adjacent to your text boxes once filled and checked rebuild filter and requery. This would avoid speed pitfalls of cascading queries. There is some VBA required here, but it's well worth it.