Thread: L1/L2 CPU cache

Unanswered: L1/L2 CPU cache

As couldnt see a Hardware forum to ask and the server will be running postgresql, i'd figure i post it over here.

Im currently in the processor of obtaining a database server.

Im doubting between a Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz or a Dual Opteron 240.

The biggest diffrence (i can see) is that the Xeon uses 8/512 L1/L2 cache and Opteron uses 128/1024 L1/L2 cache.

Im wondering if a database server relies (heavily) on L1/L2 cache because if it does, i reckon im better off with Opteron, if not.. the Xeon is the better choice.

Any ideas?

-Ed

On a side note, the busspeed on a Xeon motherboard is 533Mhz and on a Opteron 333Mhz. Will this influence total performance as well?

Re: L1/L2 CPU cache

Originally posted by Edje
    As couldnt see a Hardware forum to ask and the server will be running postgresql, i'd figure i post it over here.

Im currently in the processor of obtaining a database server.

Im doubting between a Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz or a Dual Opteron 240.

The biggest diffrence (i can see) is that the Xeon uses 8/512 L1/L2 cache and Opteron uses 128/1024 L1/L2 cache.

Im wondering if a database server relies (heavily) on L1/L2 cache because if it does, i reckon im better off with Opteron, if not.. the Xeon is the better choice.

Any ideas?

-Ed

On a side note, the busspeed on a Xeon motherboard is 533Mhz and on a Opteron 333Mhz. Will this influence total performance as well?
    Dual Opteron definitely...

Thanks for the reply.

I did indeed find some benchmarks that indicated that the opteron outperforms its Xeon counterpart by a relatively big margin. (on a side note, the old Atholon MP 2800+ (dual) did a very nice job as well compared to the Xeon)

Dual Opteron it is.

-Ed