Thread: ftp

Unanswered: ftp

i know the basic usage of ftp to transfer files.
    My requirement now is
    I have 2 machines - dev1 and dev2

my home directory on dev1 is /home/biolink

my home directory on dev2 is /home/biolink

Now I needed to transfer all the files, directories, subdirectories that are all present in /home/biolink in dev1 to /home/biolink in dev2.

Is there a way I can ftp it in one shot ? When i tried my normal way
    ( ftp> put *.* ) from dev1, it only transferred all files that directly came under /home/biolink but not the directories and sub directories

Thanks

Re: ftp

Did you try mput ?

I know this command transfers all files in the current directory , but, it is worth a try

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by saccskiz
    i know the basic usage of ftp to transfer files.
    My requirement now is
    I have 2 machines - dev1 and dev2

my home directory on dev1 is /home/biolink

my home directory on dev2 is /home/biolink

Now I needed to transfer all the files, directories, subdirectories that are all present in /home/biolink in dev1 to /home/biolink in dev2.

Is there a way I can ftp it in one shot ? When i tried my normal way
    ( ftp> put *.* ) from dev1, it only transferred all files that directly came under /home/biolink but not the directories and sub directories

Thanks
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Yes, I tried mput. It just did the same thing as put. It transferred just the files in the current directory but not folders and sub directories in the current directory.
    Any other ways or ideas?
    Thanks

Yes, I tried mput. It just did the same thing as put. It transferred just the files in the current directory but not folders and sub directories in the current directory.
    Any other ways or ideas?
    Thanks
    FTP will not copy the files in the subfolders.
    Only way is first tar the files in DEV1 and ftp it and untar the file.

Thank you. That worked. I tarred the all the files in the directory and transferred over using ftp.
    I have another question on the same lines. Suppose it is me who owns the biolink directory on DEV1 and also I own the biolink directory on DEV2. Hence all files and sub-folders are all owned by me.
    BUT.... the user who is performing the ftp and transferring the files over from DEV1 to DEV2 is another user.
    For this reason, will it be necessary for me to change the permissions or access once the ftp has been complete on the files on DEV2 ???
    My requirement was that the permissions should exaclty match all files and subdiretories on both servers.

Thank you. That worked. I tarred the all the files in the directory and transferred over using ftp.
    I have another question on the same lines. Suppose it is me who owns the biolink directory on DEV1 and also I own the biolink directory on DEV2. Hence all files and sub-folders are all owned by me.
    BUT.... the user who is performing the ftp and transferring the files over from DEV1 to DEV2 is another user.
    For this reason, will it be necessary for me to change the permissions or access once the ftp has been complete on the files on DEV2 ???
    My requirement was that the permissions should exaclty match all files and subdiretories on both servers.
    I don't think permissions will change. Whatever the permissions you have while tarring the files will remain the same after untarring.