Unanswered: Ordering Text Fields

I'm not familiar with Visual Basic other than using it to Maximize my reports... And I have a birthday field that has to be a text field because the date/time field won't accomodate month/day without the year. Is there any way to order a report using this field (i.e. January, then February, March, etc.) without having to go deep into VB?? I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks!

Re: Ordering Text Fields

You CAN format a date/time field the way you want. In the Properties window, under FORMAT, just type:
    mmmm dd
    for January 01 or:
    mmm dd
    for Jan 01

and it was something so simple...
    you just made my life soooooo much easier. I didn't realize I could input my OWN format! you rock - thanks for responding

Originally posted by bmacr
    You CAN format a date/time field the way you want. In the Properties window, under FORMAT, just type:
    mmmm dd
    for January 01 or:
    mmm dd
    for Jan 01

for that matter, how about a way to order text fields? I.e. I maintain a database of weekly staff meeting notes for work and would like some notes to always show at the top of hte report (survey results) and some to always show at the bottom (late/absent employees). Any suggestions as to how to modify the report so I don't have to mess with the tables?

Originally posted by bmacr
    mmmm dd
    for January 01 or:
    mmm dd
    for Jan 01

If you already have a survey results field and a field that can separate the late/absent people, then you should be able to sort them in a query.
    I'll assume your report is based on a table. Create a new query and add the table to it. Drag each of the fields to the lower part of the window. Go to the VIEW menu and choose TOTALS. The words GROUP BY should show up in each field.
    Queries will sort by the field that is farthest left in the query design view, so move your late/absent field to the farthest left position. Then move your survey results field to the second position. Click in the SORT field of each and choose which way suits you.
    Save the query and then make it the RecordSource for your report. See if that works.