Unanswered: local copy of server lookup tables

i have a db with around 20 tables.

17 of these tables are relatively static (countries, employees, currencies, and so on): at worst i expect one edit a day to one of these 17 tables. The users edit these tables, so an edit can occur at any time.

i'm considering a scheme to copy the contents of these tables to the local machine.

here are my thoughts so far:

add another table on the server
    tblLookups (tblID int PK, tblRev long)
    server tblRev for the concerned tblID is incremented after each edit

and an identical table on the local machine (or global vars)
    compare the two tables, making a new local copy and updating local tblRev where necessary

then there is the question of when to check for changes!
    the timer is overkill
    every menu-click is probably overkill
    every 50 menu clicks is risky
    every record access from one of the 3 regularly changing tables slows things at the wrong time
    there is no "switchboard" in the application (or any other "place" where the user must go regularly)

another thought might be to throw a message on the users' screens warning that the lookups have changed and enable an "update" button - leaving it to the users to update when they want (i've got space on the permanently displayed mother form to do this).

does anyone "out there" do this sort of stuff? i'd welcome any suggestions or comments.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Izy:

Syncronization of the tables would be problematic. If each user had a local copy of the tables, any auto number fields would be duplicated on each workstation. Updating/Appending to the main tables would create a conflict.

good point!

so only the server tables have autonumbers, the local copies just copy any IDs from the server table into a normal long.

there is never a sync local -> server. i plan edits to the lookup tables ONLY on the server followed by a sync server -> local.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2