Unanswered: Inventory Total calculation and re-oder question

I am new to this board. I will be glad if somebody can help me.

I am designing a db to track inventory details for our dept. I have done most of it except for a few stumbling blocks I do not know how to solve. I would appreciate all help and suggestions.

Question: Of the several form i have in this db, one is to add inventory and one is to remove. The 3 fields I want suggestions on how to place are;
    Qty in Stock e.g 5
    Qty ordered e.g. 5
    Total e.g. 10

What is the best way to formulate the above so that the totals are automatically added. I would like the same for the form where I remove inventory where it should minus from the stock and provide the totals.

Another stumbling block I have is how do I place a field or a message which would come up when an item reaches a certain no. and tells me it is time to re-order. The problem is different items would require different re-order no. Say for e.g. I would re-order cartridges when the stock is 5. But I would reorder CD's when the stock is 100. How do I solve this problem. I would appreciate all your feedback and help in this matter.
    Thanking you all in advance.

Re: Inventory Total calculation and re-oder question

Originally posted by serendb
    I am new to this board. I will be glad if somebody can help me.

I am designing a db to track inventory details for our dept. I have done most of it except for a few stumbling blocks I do not know how to solve. I would appreciate all help and suggestions.

Question: Of the several form i have in this db, one is to add inventory and one is to remove. The 3 fields I want suggestions on how to place are;
    Qty in Stock e.g 5
    Qty ordered e.g. 5
    Total e.g. 10

What is the best way to formulate the above so that the totals are automatically added. I would like the same for the form where I remove inventory where it should minus from the stock and provide the totals.

Another stumbling block I have is how do I place a field or a message which would come up when an item reaches a certain no. and tells me it is time to re-order. The problem is different items would require different re-order no. Say for e.g. I would re-order cartridges when the stock is 5. But I would reorder CD's when the stock is 100. How do I solve this problem. I would appreciate all your feedback and help in this matter.
    Thanking you all in advance.
    For the second question in your inventory table insert a new a field call
    "Order Point" this field have the Minimin Qty. that you want before make
    a new re-order, then compare the Current Inventory with this Order Point.
    Saludos
    Norberto

Hi
    before you consider automation for ADDING stock to the present inventory from your order file - consider, what about errors in the delivery quantities, you will need ti have a manual check against the order quantities, so it may be wise to have the form you are allocating for stock updates run manually this way youll have greater integritary

there after i may have a small db for stock systems presently used in my offices

rgds

gareth