Unanswered: Configuring the datasource in MS Excel

Hello,

I am new to database programming & I would like to know if there is some place I can specify ( in MS Excel ) as to where the data should be picked from i.e. where do I specify the "datasource" value??

Also, is there anyway I can find out all the SQL queries that have been used in an Excel spreadsheet??

Thanks & Regards,
    Ashok

Re: Configuring the datasource in MS Excel

Originally posted by a_ashokkumar
    Hello,

I am new to database programming & I would like to know if there is some place I can specify ( in MS Excel ) as to where the data should be picked from i.e. where do I specify the "datasource" value??

Also, is there anyway I can find out all the SQL queries that have been used in an Excel spreadsheet??

Thanks & Regards,
    Ashok
    Go to DATA > IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA > NEW DATABASE QUERY

The first tab should list the databases, the second tab should list the queries already run with this spreadsheet.

You can also use the Options button to search for the source you want.

Is this what you need?
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Hello,

Thanks for the info.

Actually I was interested in knowing how to specify the server name. Your reply does tell how to specify the database name.

The problem I have encountered is as follows: There are two servers on which copies of the same database reside. One of them is the master copy & the slave copy needs to be occasionally updated to ensure that it is in sync with the master.

When I did an "Edit Query" on a Excel cell that queried the database on the slave database, it immediately accesses the database located on the master server. I want this query to point to the slave copy.

One solution is to rename the databases. However, I felt that specifying the server name in conjunction with the database name would be a better option.

Thanks,
    Ashok