Thread: ODBC Query's

Unanswered: ODBC Query's

I have a couple of ODBC query's running from an access DB to an Oracle DB. All is good and fine. However sometimes i have trouble connecting to the Oracle DB.

2 things may happen....:
    1) I get the common "ODBC error connection failed"
    The SQL is 100% OK, except connection failed or something, i need to restart the DB to clear the memory (and avoid the timeout wait time) to retry.
    2) The Access DB Crashes. It doesnt give an error or anything, it just "disappears", again restart and retry.

These 2 can repeat and intermittently show up, Or on try 1 have problem 2, try 2 problem 1 and Vice versa...

Try try try untill it works. Its a pain, is there anybody out there who has experience simmular problems in the past (WinNT, Access 97 - SR2)

Thanx.

Re: ODBC Query's

I didn't have your problems, but it looks like a login-timeout-expired problem. Any chance to set your login timeout to, say, 30 seconds?!

However, I would definitively consider to use more up-to-date technology. Both for ODBC, NT and Access 97 are more modern alternatieves available.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

NT & A97, yes i know => But hey, thats what my employer uses. But we are planning to upgrade "pretty soon"

Alternative for ODBC? What how when why what? I dont know it, could you elaborate?

Regards

Edit: Login - Timeout? hmz, i checked to ODBC time out, thats set to 60 secs (usual return time is less than 1 sec) Didnt know there was a Login timeout as well. Where can i find/set it?
    Also if the Login timeout expires shouldnt there be a "normal" error message instead of a crashlike situation?
    Last edited by namliam; 03-23-04 at 07:12.