Unanswered: parsing a delimited string

Hello, I am having a hard time parsing a delimited string. I am a novice at VBA and have been struggling with the sources I find out there that explain how to do this.

I have a temp table [ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly] that is imported from Excel that contains a records with a number of fields. Among them are the following (with one sample record

[ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 1;3;4;6;7;9

The [ClaimNumber] is the primary key on this table.

There can be up to 25 different InjuryTypes. Each InjuryType number corresponds to a description that I have in another table called [tblInjuryTypeList].

I need to parse the Injury Types field and append them to another table called [tblInjuriesperClaimECA] so that the fields look like this:

[ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 1
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 3
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 4
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 6
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 7
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 9

The combination of the [ClaimNumber] and the [InjuryType] make up the primary key on this table.

What is the syntax to do this? So far, I have created two queries, one that appends the [ClaimNumber] and first [InjuryType]. The syntax on this query is as follows:

INSERT INTO tblInjuriesperClaimECA ( ClaimNumber, InjuryType )
    SELECT ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly.[ClaimNumber], Left([InjuryType],InStr(1,[InjuryType],";")-1) AS Expr1
    FROM ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly;

The second query removes the first InjuryType:
    UPDATE ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly SET ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly.[InjuryType] = Mid([InjuryType],InStr(1,[InjuryType],";")+1);

I have luck with the queries for the first Injury Type but am stuck from there. I don't know how to Loop till it is done adding all the Injury types.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be thorough!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Grace

Re: parsing a delimited string

Originally posted by palto1
    Hello, I am having a hard time parsing a delimited string. I am a novice at VBA and have been struggling with the sources I find out there that explain how to do this.

I have a temp table [ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly] that is imported from Excel that contains a records with a number of fields. Among them are the following (with one sample record

[ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 1;3;4;6;7;9

The [ClaimNumber] is the primary key on this table.

There can be up to 25 different InjuryTypes. Each InjuryType number corresponds to a description that I have in another table called [tblInjuryTypeList].

I need to parse the Injury Types field and append them to another table called [tblInjuriesperClaimECA] so that the fields look like this:

[ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 1
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 3
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 4
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 6
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 7
    [ClaimNumber] = 12345 [InjuryType] = 9

The combination of the [ClaimNumber] and the [InjuryType] make up the primary key on this table.

What is the syntax to do this? So far, I have created two queries, one that appends the [ClaimNumber] and first [InjuryType]. The syntax on this query is as follows:

INSERT INTO tblInjuriesperClaimECA ( ClaimNumber, InjuryType )
    SELECT ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly.[ClaimNumber], Left([InjuryType],InStr(1,[InjuryType],";")-1) AS Expr1
    FROM ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly;

The second query removes the first InjuryType:
    UPDATE ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly SET ExcelLegalFactorsCapEarly.[InjuryType] = Mid([InjuryType],InStr(1,[InjuryType],";")+1);

I have luck with the queries for the first Injury Type but am stuck from there. I don't know how to Loop till it is done adding all the Injury types.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be thorough!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Grace
    Dim ParseString As String

ParseString=Split(SourceString,";",vbTextCompare)

MsgBox ParseString(0), "1st element of the array"

Red face Still don't understand Parse problem

Dim ParseString As String

ParseString=Split(SourceString,";",vbTextCompare)

MsgBox ParseString(0), "1st element of the array"

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying to do. Is "Split" a function? As I mentioned earlier, I am a novice in this area. Could you help by adding some comments in the above code?

Thank you,
    Grace

Split is a function available in MSAccess 200x

ParseString is a String Array
    SourceString is to hold what is in [InjuryType]

Do as M Owen has suggested then to read the array (as a sample) use the following code:
    Code:
    Dim i as integer, a$
    For i = 0 to UBound(ParseString)
      a$ = a$ & ParseString(i) & vbNewLine
    Next i
    MsgBox"Your Array Contains:" & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & a$

Provided Answers: 1
    You should really learn how to use the help file, you're making it way to hard on yourself:

Split Function

Description

Returns a zero-based, one-dimensional array containing a specified number of substrings.

Syntax

Split(expression[, delimiter[, limit[, compare]]])

The Split function syntax has these named arguments:

Part Description
    expression Required. String expression containing substrings and delimiters. If expression is a zero-length string(""), Split returns an empty array, that is, an array with no elements and no data.

delimiter Optional. String character used to identify substring limits. If omitted, the space character (" ") is assumed to be the delimiter. If delimiter is a zero-length string, a single-element array containing the entire expression string is returned.

limit Optional. Number of substrings to be returned; 1 indicates that all substrings are returned.

compare Optional. Numeric value indicating the kind of comparison to use when evaluating substrings. See Settings section for values

That is in the vba help file under "split function"