Unanswered: Problem accessing Access 97 database with Access 2002

Let me start by saying that I'm not so literate with databases, so I apologize in advance for any idiotic comments that I make. :)

I have a friend who is having trouble with the Access system set up in his office. It was set up by someone else, and unfortunately, that someone else is no longer available to fix issues with it. So I was aksed to help fix this problem they are having.

They have an Access 97 database which the entire office accesses. It resides on an machine which acts as an Access server for them all. It is running Access 97. It is supposedly a secured database and a workgroup has been setup for it. Both the MDB and MDW file reside on the server.

One of the machines in the office was upgraded and for whatever reason cannot run Access 97 so they installed Access 2002 on it, but ran into problems.

I took a look at it, and made sure that Access 2002 was joined to the workgroup. I ran into the problem though that when I opened the database, it would say that the user did not have permission to convert the database (which obviously, we don't want to do). So I removed him from the workgroup, opened the database and when prompted to open or convert, selected open. The database opened fine. So I exited and rejoined him to the workgroup. I tried again, and he could open the database without error.

So I thought everything was okay. He emailed me today and said that the first time he went to access the database it was fine, but he exited and then went back in later, and it got the message that the user did not have permission to convert the database.

What should I look at to resolve this issue?

Could it be how he is exiting out of Access?

Could it be related to other users in the office and how they are accessing the database?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions from the Access community. Thanks so much!

Re: Problem accessing Access 97 database with Access 2002

Originally posted by thegdog
    Let me start by saying that I'm not so literate with databases, so I apologize in advance for any idiotic comments that I make.

I have a friend who is having trouble with the Access system set up in his office. It was set up by someone else, and unfortunately, that someone else is no longer available to fix issues with it. So I was aksed to help fix this problem they are having.

They have an Access 97 database which the entire office accesses. It resides on an machine which acts as an Access server for them all. It is running Access 97. It is supposedly a secured database and a workgroup has been setup for it. Both the MDB and MDW file reside on the server.

One of the machines in the office was upgraded and for whatever reason cannot run Access 97 so they installed Access 2002 on it, but ran into problems.

I took a look at it, and made sure that Access 2002 was joined to the workgroup. I ran into the problem though that when I opened the database, it would say that the user did not have permission to convert the database (which obviously, we don't want to do). So I removed him from the workgroup, opened the database and when prompted to open or convert, selected open. The database opened fine. So I exited and rejoined him to the workgroup. I tried again, and he could open the database without error.

So I thought everything was okay. He emailed me today and said that the first time he went to access the database it was fine, but he exited and then went back in later, and it got the message that the user did not have permission to convert the database.

What should I look at to resolve this issue?

Could it be how he is exiting out of Access?

Could it be related to other users in the office and how they are accessing the database?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions from the Access community. Thanks so much!

what exactly does the error message says. Does the user belongs to a group who have access to the database?

>what exactly does the error message says. Does the user belongs to a
    >group who have access to the database?

He is a user in the group who has access to the database.

The error message says:

"The current user doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database. To enable or convert the database, ensure the following:"

And then lists 5 things (which I don't have a list of at the moment).

I thought that I had already enabled the database because he was able to get in. But then it seems like it reverts back to "un-enabled" at some point and, because the user doesn't have permission to enable the database, it displays that message.

The way that I enabled it before was to remove him from the workgroup, opened the database and when prompted to open/enable or convert, selected open/enable. The database opened fine. So I exited and rejoined him to the workgroup. I tried again, and he could open the database without error.

Until now, when the database appears to be "un-enabled".

So not sure what my next move should be.

Thanks for any suggestions/

Problem accessing Access 97 database with Access 2000

Originally posted by thegdog
    >what exactly does the error message says. Does the user belongs to a
    >group who have access to the database?

He is a user in the group who has access to the database.

The error message says:

"The current user doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database. To enable or convert the database, ensure the following:"

And then lists 5 things (which I don't have a list of at the moment).

I thought that I had already enabled the database because he was able to get in. But then it seems like it reverts back to "un-enabled" at some point and, because the user doesn't have permission to enable the database, it displays that message.

The way that I enabled it before was to remove him from the workgroup, opened the database and when prompted to open/enable or convert, selected open/enable. The database opened fine. So I exited and rejoined him to the workgroup. I tried again, and he could open the database without error.

Until now, when the database appears to be "un-enabled".

So not sure what my next move should be.

Thanks for any suggestions/
    Whenever you open an Access Database in a later version of Access, Access will assess the permissions of all the objects in the database. If access finds the current user has read design permissions for all the objects in the database(and passes other requirements as well), the user can upgrade the database to a later version of the database. If Access doesn't find that the user is able to convert the database, the above mentioned error message appears.

Try adding the user to a group which has access to the database, instead of giving permissions directly to the user.