Thread: VB to DBase III

Unanswered: VB to DBase III

I created a simple VB program that insert records to
    DBase III file by Insert SQL statements. The program ran fine and created a new records, but after that I cannot open that file on DBase by USE or BROWSE command. It throws a message that my file is not a database file.
    I use this type of connection

cn.ConnectionString = "Driver={Microsoft dBASE Driver (*.dbf)};" & "DriverID=21;" & "Dbq=c:\DocsToDBF"

What is wrong? Please help.

Hi,

If this is the first time your dBase III plus programme has failed to recognise a dBase file, you are very lucky. I have given up trying to find the cause. What I do is to rename the existing unrecognised file (do it in the windows command prompt) say "TEST.DBF" (The extension is important")

I then create a new dBase III file using the original name and set up the fields exactly as before. (If this happens regularly with the same file you could hold a duplicate structure somewhere)

Open the newly created (but empty) file and execute the dBaseIII Plus command

append from TEST.DBF

If you hold a back up file from before the corruption, you could simply copy the structure from that.

In the case of badly corrupted dBase files which will not respond to the above, I have found that importing the corrupted file into Access and then carrying out the above procedure from the Access file work perfectly.
    Last edited by taxes; 03-29-04 at 06:52.
    taxes

Hi,

I just re-read your query.

All you need to do is create the table in Access in the first place. Then use the dBase III Plus "APPEND FROM".
    taxes

Hi vrozen,

Did you get this to work?
    taxes

Unhappy

Thank taxes for your reply. I gave up and push it to another guys. They tried to use Sybase package to do it, but I did not see if they've done it finally.
    I have a question - is it any other driver, except Microsoft that could be used to run INSERT SQL statements for DBaseIII+?

Vadim.

Hi

"I have a question - is it any other driver, except Microsoft that could be used to run INSERT SQL statements for DBaseIII+?"

Not that I ever came across, but then, I stuck entirely with dBaseIII Plus right up to 2002 - I gave up with visual dBase after all the bugs in dBase iv)

Remember that SQL had no involvement with dBaseIII Plus, at least I have never seen it in any dBaseIII Plus literature. The dbase equivalent was VUE files. I don't know why you say "except Microsoft ".

I thought your problem was that you could not make a dBaseIII Plus table from VB or Access. It sounds like you should be exporting your dBase tables to Access if you do not have the facility to run dBase III Plus as a programming language.

EDIT: Having thought about it, you MUST have the full dbaseIII Plus package. You can't get the database section as a stand alone. If you don't understand how to use the .VUE facility and it becomes necessary, let me know.
    Last edited by taxes; 04-02-04 at 11:49.
    taxes

What is happening is that behind the scenes, VB/Jet handles dBase files like foxpro. As a result, when the data within the file is changed, the timestamp in the dBase file header gets changed in a manner that is Y2K compliant, but cannot be properly handled by dBase, so you are subsequently unable to open the file in dBase...

Was able to fix the issue by doing a binary repair to the file after data operations. The timestamp in the dbase file header is in offset position #2 in the file, so the trick is to replace the data there with the current year.

Create the following sub in your app
    Sub FixDBF(FileName As String)
    ' This fixes the DBase header date.
    ' This is done because of Dbase not being able to read the 2001 date
    Dim iFile As Integer
    Dim sRet As String
    Dim X As Integer

iFile = FreeFile

Open FileName For Binary As #iFile
    For X = 1 To 2
    'NEEDED - Initialize the return value size.
    sRet = Space(1)

Get #iFile, X, sRet
    If X = 2 Then
    sRet = Chr$(Val(Right$(Date$, 2)))
    Put #iFile, X, sRet
    End If
    Next X
    Close #iFile
    End Sub

Now in your data routine(s), after the data has been edited, etc and the table is closed, you call

FixDBF <PathAndNameOfYourFile>

You should now be able to open the file in dBase as normal.

Hope this helps.
    Steve
    Last edited by sswan; 04-02-04 at 12:28.