Unanswered: Available SQL Servers

Does anyone know how can I view the names of available SQL servers from within VB?

i.e. Make a combobox that shows available SQL servers.

thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    There is a Win API call to enumerate servers. I don't have any reference tools handy, but that should be enough to get you rolling.

-PatP

I did find an API function that can show me available resources but let's say I'm only searching for SQL servers and nothing else. Can you get me a step further?

Originally posted by Wolverchenus
    I did find an API function that can show me available resources but let's say I'm only searching for SQL servers and nothing else. Can you get me a step further?
    sql.ini from your sqlclient should give you a list of the available servers

You mean the computer connecting to the SQL server should have this file? 'cause I searched this one computer and didn't find it. Where should it be if so?

Provided Answers: 54
    Originally posted by Wolverchenus
    The simple answer is SQLOLEDB Enumerator, but what I'd originally thought of (what I use) is NetServerEnum using the SV_TYPE_SQLSERVER.

-PatP

The SQL Enumerator isn't exactly VB..
    Anything closer to home?
    I couldn't find NetServerEnum in the API viewer either. Might be because I'm using VB6.