Unanswered: Database and WebSphere5

We just upgraded to WebSphere5. During user acceptance testing I discovered that the WAS schema has exactly TWO tables. Investigating further, I found out that these two tables are dynamic. When someone logs in these tables are populated and when the user logs out the data is deleted.

Out of the box, WAS will install a default DB2 database on the same server as the application server. Even though I am an Oracle bigot, it seems silly to pay for cpu licensing for two small tables. I am leaning toward asking our middle-ware administrators to use the default install and save the cpu licensing expense for Oracle.

Does anyone have any experience with this configuration? Especially, hidden gotchas, like DB2 cpu licensing?

As far as I know there is no additional licencing cost unless you want to move the admin database onto a separate machine.

Cheers,

Julius

I think, as long as you use DB2 just as a websphere repository, you do not pay for the db2 ... That is included in you websphere license costs ...

Double-check before you go ahead

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.