Question Unanswered: Access Table Fields Using "AutoComplete"?

I am having an issue with AccessXP that seems like it would be relatively simple to correct, but am at a loss.

I have a table with three fields. The first two are numbers (basic integars, nothing special) and the third field is set as Date/Time (using the Short Format, again nothing special about it). If I type a 1 in the first column, tab to the second and type a 2, then tab to the third it automatically puts a 3 in there (and tells me the format for my date is incorrect). Also, if I do a 2 in the first and a 4 in the second, it will put a 6 in the third.

So it appears to be doing an AutoComplete type function and I need to turn that off. Anyone have any ideas as I've looked everywhere and am probably just overlooking the most simple answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Access Table Fields Using "AutoComplete"?

Are those bound fields? In that case, look at the defaults of those fields in the table design. It could be that those values are automatically assigned to those fields?
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

Re: Access Table Fields Using "AutoComplete"?

Nope, they aren't bound. To even recreate the issue, I opened a brand new table, created three fields (2 numbers and 1 date/time) and simply typed "1 - tab - 2 - tab" and it automatically put a 3 in the date/time field.

Give it a try yourself if you like. Its buggin the hell outta me to be honest. lol

Any new ideas?

Talking Access2000

I use Access 2000. I had a few issues a lot like the one's you are describing. Someone said to me to disable the Name Auto Correct in the Menu: Tools, Options, General tab .
    Once I did this it solved many things that you would not think are related at all.

Just a thought!

Michael
    Gotta to do some code

Yeah, already have all auto complete (auto correct, etc) already turned off but its all for not as the same issue happens.

It only happens with a maximum of two number-sets though (1, 2, 3, 4, etc and 2, 4, 6, 8, etc). If there is a difference of more than 2 between the two fields then it will not "auto increment".

So I'm really at a loss here.

Okay, I think I have a workable fix. It wasn't by just disabling the AutoCorrent in the Tools -> Options tab, but I opened up the AutoCorrent Options from the Tools menu and just removed all checkmarks there as well.

Thank you surfacesys for joggin the noggin at this late hour and helpin me to hopefully resolve that one.

I'll get on the horn with the woman that had the problem and verify that it corrects her issue (as its correcting now 3+ test tables I have created to work on this issue).

Strange

I set up a mystery table in Access 2000 and it did the exact same thing. I added text to a 3rd field then hide the field in the table and it did the same thing.
    The only way around it after testing wae to put the date field in the second column and it worked fine!

Michael
    Gotta to do some code

The weird thing for me was that no matter what the 3rd field was (date, number, text, etc) it would but that sequential number in there (even if it was hidden). Both myself and the person I'm working on this for are using Access XP (not sure if that makes any difference or not).

And also a word of caution, if you have a chance never get a job supporting government employees because this is the kind of stuff I'm doing all day. And the sad thing is that this is our tax dollars hard at work. A multi-million dollar account, and they have me working something as small and meaningless as this. lol