Question Unanswered: Convert Access 2002 to Access 97

Has anyone had experience of converting an application back to a previous version of Access. I have been developing for the past year enhancements to an access database that I have converted from access 97 to 2002. It is the companies intention to move to 2002 in the near future but as I am about to leave the company they would like to use the enhanced database but have it converted back to 97 as they are not ready to move to the new platform quite yet.

The inbuilt utility throws up an error saying that an object does not adhere to the naming conventions. I can convert back to 2000 with no problem but once I try to go to 97 I get the error.

Is there an alternative way of doing it or another utility that you may be aware of.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Paul

Re: Convert Access 2002 to Access 97

Originally posted by Funkster
    Has anyone had experience of converting an application back to a previous version of Access. I have been developing for the past year enhancements to an access database that I have converted from access 97 to 2002. It is the companies intention to move to 2002 in the near future but as I am about to leave the company they would like to use the enhanced database but have it converted back to 97 as they are not ready to move to the new platform quite yet.

The inbuilt utility throws up an error saying that an object does not adhere to the naming conventions. I can convert back to 2000 with no problem but once I try to go to 97 I get the error.

Is there an alternative way of doing it or another utility that you may be aware of.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Paul
    Why in the heck would you even consider it???? The feature set is NOT COMPATIBLE from 2002 BACK TO 97 ... You have to develop for 97 in 2002 and then recompile it natively under 97 ... You need to point out that some whizbang 2002 feature most likely will not port back to 97.

I know but my company are panicking as they want the new enhancements which are basically additional forms and reports. The development in 2002 has been cosmetic as the conversion from DAO to ADO was to be the next part of the project.

They would obviously prefer to stay with 2002 but this means speeding up another project which they know will not be done in the time defore I leave.

So its not an ideal situation but they are insisting I provide them with a 97 version of the 2002 application because they are aware that part of the functionailty advertised in 2002 is to convert back to 2000 and 97 (hands up who knew that bit wouldn't work).

Paul

Well here's the thing: If you do not use ANY 2002 or 2000 specific feature vis-a-vis develop the app to the base 97 control set and code set then you merely have to open the DB in 97 and recompile to have the proper libraries ...

Thanks I'll give it a go..............fingers crossed I havn't used any 2002 functionality

Paul