Unanswered: How to delete without locking table?

UDB V8.1 Fixpack 2 I believe running on AIX(not sure what version).

I am trying to figure out if I can run a delete that will not lock the whole table. I've looked at the documentation and cannot figure out if using the WITH *ISOLATION LEVEL CODE* will work for me. Could someone help me understand the isolation levels and is what I want to do possible? I'm trying to delete old data and do an online load at the same time.

Thanks,

Josh

Provided Answers: 1

Re: How to delete without locking table?

Originally posted by damark

I am trying to figure out if I can run a delete that will not lock the whole table. I've looked at the documentation and cannot figure out if using the WITH *ISOLATION LEVEL CODE* will work for me. Could someone help me understand the isolation levels and is what I want to do possible? I'm trying to delete old data and do an online load at the same time.

Thanks,

Josh
    Actually, I think it's LOAD that locks the table, not DELETE. You're saying you run them at the same time - don't.

Re: How to delete without locking table?

A Delete will take a lock, and whether it is row or table depends on many factors, primarily on the LOCKLIST and MAXLOCKS database config parms ...

If you want to avoid table-level locks, one option is to use positioned deletes using a cursor ...

If you want to use the db2 LOAD command to add data into the tabel when the delete is happening, it is not yet supported ...

FP4 introduced the concept of ONLINE IMPORT which you may experiment for your scenario

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by damark

Thanks,

Josh
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 03-24-04 at 12:31.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thank you for the information.