Exclamation Unanswered: How to install msde with vb app ???

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge what would be best way of installing msde with vb application
    I created vb app with msde database , right now app uses sql server, iam planning to move sql database to msde and distribute that with vb app. What would be best approach for distributing and installing those files? Does vb package deployment will do the trick or I should acuire some professional setup program ??
    Thanks
    Robert

Re: How to install msde with vb app ???

Robert -
    You'll almost always get the most flexibility from a professional setup program than you will by using the Package & Deployment wizard, etc. That's not to say, however, that going the PDW route won't work for you.

As far as MSDE goes, the data environment dll (MSDE.DLL) needs ADO to be installed on a given machine to work properly. You'll want to also include the install for MDAC (MDAC_TYP.EXE) along with MSDE.DLL if there is any question at all as to whether ADO is installed on the machines you're setting-up.

One approach you could take would be to include MDAC_TYP.EXE on your distribution media along with the rest of your setup files, CABs, etc.
    You can then modify the temporary setup files created by the PDW to check for the presence of ADO & install as necessary. This isn't too tough to do & there are examples in the MS Knowledge Base which describe how to create custom app setups...it all gets down to how comfortable you are with VB, and of course how much money/time you want to invest.

Good luck -
    Steve

Originally posted by pkrol
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge what would be best way of installing msde with vb application
    I created vb app with msde database , right now app uses sql server, iam planning to move sql database to msde and distribute that with vb app. What would be best approach for distributing and installing those files? Does vb package deployment will do the trick or I should acuire some professional setup program ??
    Thanks
    Robert