Thread: Will Dirty work

Question Unanswered: Will Dirty work

Hi,
    I have a continuous form that when the user hits a command button to exit the form, it fires off a macro. I want this macro to only fire off certain update queries if any data has been changed on the form.

Can I use the forms OnDirty event to do this and how can I incorporate it into the macro, ie if the form has changed then run the whole of the macro, if nothing has changed follow only certain parts of the macro.

Regards
    John
    Last edited by Sticker; 03-25-04 at 05:58.

Any thooughts would be greatly appreciated

you can use the dirty event to set a var (or what i do is check a tickbox called mustSave on the form - the box is hidden for "production" but is helpful to see it for development)

then, before your user moves off the record/form or hits a menu or whatever.
    if mustSave then ...run your save routine

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thanks Izy,
    I've put a check box in the footer (called mustsave) and in the form OnDirty event I have said to populate it.

Can I just confirm what the syntax would be.

Private Sub Form_Dirty(Cancel As Integer)
    Me.mustsave.Value = 1
    End Sub

is that right?

Sorry as I know nothing about VB, only what I have picked up on this forum !

Regards
    John

please dont use numeric values: there are intrinsic constants for this kind of thing which avoid any risk of confusion.

Private Sub Form_Dirty(Cancel As Integer)
    me.mustsave = True
    End Sub

i killed the .value (a question of taste, but .value is the default property of a checkbox or textbox so it is not necessary)

...also, you will want to set the properties¦data¦default for this checkbox to False so the form starts-up with no need to save.

...final also, your save routine should include
    me.mustsave = false

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Izy,
    Thank you so much, that works like a dream, also thanks for the last little tip about resetting the check box

Regards
    John