Wink Unanswered: Local Variables in User Defined Functions

I'm having a problem declaring variables in UDFs. Are they allowed? Can someone send me some syntax to see what I am doing wrong?

You can only declare local variables in scalar and table-valued functions. To understand the difference go to Templates tab of Object Browser in QA and select Functions folder.

I am using a table function with the following syntax:

create function dbo.TestFunction (@InputVariable int)
    returns table
    with encryption
    as

declare @LocalVariable smalldatetime

select @LocalVariable = ABCDate from ABCTable where rowid = @InputVariable

return(
    select * from XYZTable where XYZDate < @LocalVariable
    )

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    You can only declare local variables in scalar and table-valued functions. To understand the difference go to Templates tab of Object Browser in QA and select Functions folder.

It appears you're confusing the syntax of inline function with table-valued function. If you want "returns table" then you can't have any other statement except for "return (select...)", while if you want to have local variables then you need "returns @tbl table (<structure>) with encryption as begin...<other statements>...end" Review the templates in QA and make a decision.

gtocha...thanks

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    It appears you're confusing the syntax of inline function with table-valued function. If you want "returns table" then you can't have any other statement except for "return (select...)", while if you want to have local variables then you need "returns @tbl table (<structure>) with encryption as begin...<other statements>...end" Review the templates in QA and make a decision.