Question Unanswered: OS/390 DB2 --> one tablespace for each table

hi all,

a person will tell me that on OS/390 DB2 each table needs a separate tablespace ( even a small table ). that means, when i create 50 tables, i need 50 tablespaces ... hmmmmm

is that true? or a nonsense (i think its nonsense) ?

thanks

bab

Most people do use one tablespace per table for DB2 OS/390. If you do decide to combine tables in a single tablespace, make sure that it is a segmented tablespace.

DB2 OS/390 tablespaces are much easier to manage in terms of space allocation (increasing, shrinking, and the use of stogroups) than other DB2's so there is not as much administrative benefit for combining them.

Small to medium size tables that are related with declared RI are good candidates for combining in the same segmented tablespace.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Originally posted by Marcus_A
    Most people do use one tablespace per table for DB2 OS/390. If you do decide to combine tables in a single tablespace, make sure that it is a segmented tablespace.

DB2 OS/390 tablespaces are much easier to manage in terms of space allocation (increasing, shrinking, and the use of stogroups) than other DB2's so there is not as much administrative benefit for combining them.

Small to medium size tables that are related with declared RI are good candidates for combining in the same segmented tablespace.

hi marcus,

thank you for the answer. what ist "declared RI" ?

bab

Declared referential integrity is when you define foreign keys on a table that refers to a primary key on another table. This is done with the create or alter table SQL statement.

Undeclared RI is when the same relationship exists, but the application maintains the integrity within the code using the insert, update, and delete logic.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390