Unanswered: Log shipping in mssql 2000

Hi,

I am now trying to configure Log Shipping in my compeny but I have encountered some difficulties. The destination site and the source site are far from each other and the transaction logs are too big, this situation causes an huge overload on our private network (we use WAN which is complitly disconnected from the internet). Is there any way to compress the transacion logs with zip or rar and combine it in the log shipping mechanizem?

Is there another way for making this files smaller?

I would be greatful for any ideas in this matter.

Thanks in advance,
    Zvi Gilinsky

The only way I think is to increase time of Log shipping and meanwhile use compress software and ftp to transfer the file, then unzip it at desired location where LS can acces to restore.

BTW, any chance of hosting another standby server on the network and copy the files to this remote location as contingency.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Dear Satya,

Correct me if I wrong.
    As far as I know LS uses 3 primary jobs: one job on the source and two on the destinaion.
    The job on the source creates the transaction logs, one job on the destination copy this files to the destination and the other job applies them on the destination DB.

If I will stop the job that copy the files and replace it by another job that compress these files, transfer them and then extract them won't it demage the LS mechanizem (wrong data in log shipping tables in msdb database)?

I also try to understand what the job that copy the files does but when I I see that it does the following line : EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint'-LSCopyPlainID "plan id"...
    but when I query the msdb database : exec sp_help_maintenance_plan
    this plan id isn't there. Where else can I see this plan id and it's details?

thanks,
    zvi gilinsky

Try to get dedicated link between primary & secondary servers to ensure no issues on network.

If you've such network problems in complying the log shipping to complete then better to think of contingency solution on a local network and use this remote server as seperate server.

Try to query against master database and see.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]