Unanswered: reset to default menus using code

how do you get the default access menus back from code?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

..and, how can you kill ALL menus/toolbars. i can get everything gone except the default menu. sure i can replace it with a custom menu, but this particular jobbie wants ZERO menus and i can't do it.

izy

...and much later: fixed!

i now have a nice clean screen with no obvious A container window and no menus. it minimises and unminimizes without revealing the container window (which was always a problem with ShowWindow/user32 based solutions)

since my original question didn't excite anyone enough to get a reply, i guess i'll keep this to myself.

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 03-27-04 at 12:23.

Originally posted by izyrider
    since my original question didn't excite anyone enough to get a reply, i guess i'll keep this to myself.
    izy[/i]
    oh, ajaj, pleeeze don't
    Would be practical in one of my db's if - especially for MDE, but that I think is not possible?), I can replace/change the default menu.

Want a Norwegian chocolate? Much better than swiss versions

D.

Originally posted by izyrider

...and much later: fixed!

i now have a nice clean screen with no obvious A container window and no menus. it minimises and unminimizes without revealing the container window (which was always a problem with ShowWindow/user32 based solutions)

izy
    Just out of curiousity...how does your clean method work with Reports?

ooooooh, there is someone out there!

thanks for your curiosity

following is my fix for the moment ...this is an area of morbid fascination for me, so if you find any improvements, please let me know.

there is one problem i'm still working on: if the user clicks on the "normal-ize" button in the title bar (...as opposed to minimize/maximize buttons - i guess you know what i mean), the whole thing gets less pretty: it's still more or less OK, but it's ugly. any ideas - please let me know.

first: i should explain that the whole application lives in a mother form: anything else that happens, happens in a one of three subforms via .sourceobject changes.

second: i'm not sure which of the below are essential: with them all set as below, it works for me.

the application is locked down: all the tickboxes in tools¦startup (including ...¦advanced) are OFF (so you need SHIFT-start to work on it)

in design view, my mother form has....

properties¦other:
    modal: no
    popup: no
    toolbar: empty
    menubar: any custom menu bar you can find!!!!
    (define a custom menu bar and add any one crap item to it: you don't care what it is since you are not going to use it)

properties¦format:
    auto resize: no
    auto center: no
    view: single form
    views allowed: form
    (also no navi, dividing line, selectors etc, but this is likely not important)

then in mother_load()
    Dim cbar As CommandBar
    DoCmd.Maximize
    Set cmb = Application.CommandBars.ActiveMenuBar
    cmb.Visible = False
    Set cmb = Nothing

...let me know if it flies for you, or especially if you find a fix the "normal-ize" problem.

izy

chocolates: we can discuss!

reports: didn't try yet, but i'm willing to workaround report-preview if that's what it takes to get a clean screen.

.MDE yes

izy

Interesting concept....I personally like to use the ShowWindow API function for that clean screen effect (no matter what size my forms are). But...Print Preview seems to put a bitch into things and insists on the Access parent to be visible. I haven't found a solution to this yet other than getting out of Access altogether and using another language and reports mechanism.

One thing is for sure though....there is a way....somewhere

meanwhile: i tried the previewing a report.
    yup! it collapses the mother form just like "normal-ize".

i can (my users will!!) live without report preview if i/we have to.

...but the normalize really needs to get fixed before it is a workable solution. the code to re-maximize is no issue, but which event to use to trigger it.

izy

Later: ...and ShowWindow/user32 already collapses into an even uglier mess when you minimize/maximize izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 03-28-04 at 12:54.

...even later:

the "normal-ize" is fixed (was even fixed this morning with the settings mentioned before, but i forgot in the earlier post). i had a problem with hyperlink to the help file (resize: no seems to have been the key) and normal-ize fixed round about the same time.

preview report remains a problem: my users will live without preview until i think of something.

...but: another question - what events occur when you X the mother window: my SaveEdits() triggered by _Unload() fails if the user does X.

...and the master question: how to track an events sequence without stuffing a msgbox in every possible event in every possible object?

izy