Unanswered: How can I prevent mySQL tables from beeing imported or linkt to MS ACCESS

Hello,
    have a problem .
    MySQL Backend - MS-ACCESS Frontend using ODBC

How can I prevent users of the database to import or link the SQL tables to any MS-ACCESS database?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    The only way I can think of preventing the Access users from importing the data is to never give them the ability to SELECT it.

-PatP

Originally posted by Pat Phelan
    The only way I can think of preventing the Access users from importing the data is to never give them the ability to SELECT it.

-PatP
    If the user is a autorized user and have access to the database some of them are trying to get the tables imported in a new database to play with them or get complete access. All of the users must have SELECT rights in order to run the apropriate functions .

If they want to play, who cares? As long as they can't update their changes to the MySQL table, how does their play hurt anything? If there is data that they should not be permitted to access, they shouldn't have the ability to see it in the first place.

I can't see the problem here.

-PatP

Sorry for beeing so green .

Problem is:
    The database contains various user related information. Every user permission to the data is handled by a ACCESS filter function and query. So every user see's only his own data when they run the ACCESS frontend .
    If they import the data in to a new database they can see them all because no filter or query prevent them from ...

Regards

I'd probably create a separate MySQL login for each user. Give each user a view that presents only their own data. Do not give the users SELECT permission on the underlying table, just their own view (and possibly their subordinate's views.

-PatP

Wink Re: How can I prevent mySQL tables from beeing imported or linkt to MS ACCESS

[Hello

How did you get MS access to connect ot myswl server in slackware.

I am getting "vaio.kgmja.ca" not allowed to connect to mysql server.

My VAIO is the laptop and server is running slackware-current.

Please reply.

kgm.