Unanswered: msAccess2000 unrecognized ........

Problem description
    msAccess2000 unrecognized database format on a daily basis.

trice,twice a day on both databases.

All

Yup!
    Be glad it's not you.
    Hopefully some of you might recognize some of the following aspects of the problem and/or configuration.

Once upon a time we had a database, then we got the "unrecognized database format" errors with that database.

Then we got another (totally different unlinked to the previous ) database and from the get-go we got the same errors.

I am running a Windows NT 4 as a server
    With 6 Windows 2000 Professional users and 4 Windows XP users connected.
    All with Office 2000 professional.

The problem we have is with Microsoft Access databases.
    Daily we get the error message
    "Unrecognized database format"
    with numerous databases.
    This error message appears when someone tries to open the database after the database is damaged.
    Users that are still using the database and opened the database before the corruption occured can freely utileze the database.
    Even though they can still use them, there is chance that new data entered will not be stored in the damaged database.

We use .mde-files in combination with .mdb-files.

So the moment someone tries to open the database and he gets an error message: "Unrecognized database format", we know that the database is damaged.
    We had this problem with one database and then we got another database and litteraly from the first day we used that database, we got the same message

This is our daily routine to fix the damaged database

We ask all user to exit the application. and on the server we check with the .ldb file of that particular database to see if all users have exited the database.
    When all have exited the databse we open the .mdb file. Access will now warn us about the damaged .mdb file.
    This is the message Access gives us:

The database 'F:\USERS\Daniel\Deb_BE.mdb' needs to be repaired or isn't a database file.
    You or another user may have unexpectedly quit Microsoft Access while a Microsoft Access database was open.
    Do you want Microsoft Access to attempt to repair the database?

We choose Yes, the database is fixed, and all users can continue their work.

The databases themselves are not linked together in any way.

There are a couple of suspected causes of this problem.
    First is that the server has a 1 GB HD with only 300 MB free space and the disk is highly fragmented we have 640 MB ram on the server & the pagefile (virtual memory) is 700 MB and is located on another HD on the same server.

Second might have to do with the network.

third might be the unstable power in the region.

To troubleshoot I thought of coming here on saturday and work 10 hours with server network cable unplugged to see if the error would still occur. If it does I can ommit the network as a source of "damaging" our databases.

What would be a good way to test on that saturday.
    run through all the records
    opening & closing the database many times.
    Any thought would be highly appreciated.

I think it's the underspecced server, but perhaps someone can point me in another direction. Any comments would be available.

Re: msAccess2000 unrecognized ........

Originally posted by d123
    Problem description
    msAccess2000 unrecognized database format on a daily basis.

trice,twice a day on both databases.

All

Yup!
    Be glad it's not you.
    Hopefully some of you might recognize some of the following aspects of the problem and/or configuration.

Once upon a time we had a database, then we got the "unrecognized database format" errors with that database.

Then we got another (totally different unlinked to the previous ) database and from the get-go we got the same errors.

I am running a Windows NT 4 as a server
    With 6 Windows 2000 Professional users and 4 Windows XP users connected.
    All with Office 2000 professional.

The problem we have is with Microsoft Access databases.
    Daily we get the error message
    "Unrecognized database format"
    with numerous databases.
    This error message appears when someone tries to open the database after the database is damaged.
    Users that are still using the database and opened the database before the corruption occured can freely utileze the database.
    Even though they can still use them, there is chance that new data entered will not be stored in the damaged database.

We use .mde-files in combination with .mdb-files.

So the moment someone tries to open the database and he gets an error message: "Unrecognized database format", we know that the database is damaged.
    We had this problem with one database and then we got another database and litteraly from the first day we used that database, we got the same message

This is our daily routine to fix the damaged database

We ask all user to exit the application. and on the server we check with the .ldb file of that particular database to see if all users have exited the database.
    When all have exited the databse we open the .mdb file. Access will now warn us about the damaged .mdb file.
    This is the message Access gives us:

The database 'F:\USERS\Daniel\Deb_BE.mdb' needs to be repaired or isn't a database file.
    You or another user may have unexpectedly quit Microsoft Access while a Microsoft Access database was open.
    Do you want Microsoft Access to attempt to repair the database?

We choose Yes, the database is fixed, and all users can continue their work.

The databases themselves are not linked together in any way.

There are a couple of suspected causes of this problem.
    First is that the server has a 1 GB HD with only 300 MB free space and the disk is highly fragmented we have 640 MB ram on the server & the pagefile (virtual memory) is 700 MB and is located on another HD on the same server.

Second might have to do with the network.

third might be the unstable power in the region.

To troubleshoot I thought of coming here on saturday and work 10 hours with server network cable unplugged to see if the error would still occur. If it does I can ommit the network as a source of "damaging" our databases.

What would be a good way to test on that saturday.
    run through all the records
    opening & closing the database many times.
    Any thought would be highly appreciated.

I think it's the underspecced server, but perhaps someone can point me in another direction. Any comments would be available.
    Guess what??? You're not alone ... Same problem here...

Hey M Owen,

How big (or small) is the HD on the c drive of your server?
    IS it heavilly fragmented?
    Do you think that in my case it could be the HD?

Or do we really have the same network problems?
    Any helpfull links you have for me?

Greedy ain't I?

Hey M Owen,

How big (or small) is the HD on the c drive of your server?
    IS it heavilly fragmented?
    Do you think that in my case it could be the HD?

Or do we really have the same network problems?
    Any helpfull links you have for me?

Greedy ain't I?
    Well here's my problem ... I can have as few as 2 users in and have the thing corrupt ...

Specifically in my case I think it's the network ... We had a UPS go down that whacked the hub such that 1 of it's port boards fried out ... What do you think the chances are that the other 3 were affected (rhetorical)??? BTW, my BE DB is running on a 2K workstation on the network enforcing the MAX 10 user limit. THis machine has a 20-30G HD and only I believe 256M or RAM ...

Might switching to Microsoft SQL-server solve the problem?
    I've read somewhere that corruption/ damaging of the database is lessl ikely to occur with SQL-server!

Any thoughts?

Might switching to Microsoft SQL-server solve the problem?
    I've read somewhere that corruption/ damaging of the database is lessl ikely to occur with SQL-server!

Any thoughts?
    It will ... SQL Server hardly ever corrupts ...

We use .mde-files in combination with .mdb-files

"We use .mde-files in combination with .mdb-files".

I have to clarify this.
    On the server we have databases which are split into two .mdb files.
    One files holds the tables & the queries. We call this one the DATA database.
    The other .mdb file holds the rest (forms, etc.). We call this the APPLICATION database.

In addition we have *.mde files which are manually stored on users computers.

The tables & queries holding .mdb file is the file which allways gets damaged. These are 30 MB files which have to be repaired/compacted trice a day (on an average basis).

I have a few questions in regard to this set-up:
    1 Would it be usefull to have a scheduler automatically repair/compact APPLICATION database. We allready are working on automatically repairing the DATA database. (still figuring out how to use the AT-command, because of the absense of a task scheduler on NT server 4.0???)

2 Might the fact that different users have different .MDE files locally on their computers have anything to do with the damaging of the DATA database? And when I say different .MDE files, I mean different in size & creation date.
    Perhaps making sure that everyone has the .mde file will be better.

Thanks for any input you can feed back to me.
    I'll post any solutions for other users when I find them.

D

Another problem which I'm sure has to do with the other problems we have is that the speed changes for different users.

I get praise from user A saying that the database runs fast (on her computer) and complaints from user B that it runs very slowly.

Few hours later the tables are turned (tables, get it?)
    User B now has the database running fast on his computer and user A has speed problems.

Any thoughts?