Red face Unanswered: Importing into Pervasive SQL 2000i

I have a software product that was developed in VB 6.0 and the developer used Pervasive SQL 2000i for the database. It's a program we had custom developed for our hobby store to track club events and data on club members. The developer is no longer around literally. He passed away 9 months ago. I now have to try and keep the database maintained. With no access to the VB code, I need to move records from one table to another and import new records to existing tables as well. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Provided Answers: 4
    If you've got DDFs, you can use the Pervasive Control Center or Access or any other ODBC front end. If you don't have DDFs but know the structure of the tables, you can create DDFs. In terms of importing, you might look at the Import wizard. You could also write (or have written) a custom import routine.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Red face

That's basically the direction I was going. I even purchased the DDFEditor and the DBMRG tools from classicsoftware. But the tables will not allow for full edit of data, add, delete, insert etc. What in a Pervasive database controls this?

Basically I have a field called "CustomerID" it has a string value of "AA-BBBBBB-C" and I want to do a scrip to replace the current value with "AA-B-C" That's it seems simple? In this case it is just truncating ending Zero's in the B section.

To truncate ending zeroes is going to be a little more difficult that if they were spaces. You might need to read the data into your application, then you would truncate it or massage the data, then write it back out (or write it to a new file).
    The Import wizard is looking for data in a very specific format. It's basically CSV (or SDF depending on who you ask) but also has a 0 or 1 for the "True Null" byte, if one exists. Personally, I would recommend writing a custom import routine. That way you can massage the data and make sure the data is correct.
    Mirtheil Software

Unhappy

OK, with your tips regarding my issue I keep digging. I think I've found that the original developer, who is not longer around, assigned an "Owner-name" to the database/tables. Thus I think it is preventing me from making the database record value changes/insert/edit etc. from outside the program he wrote. Is there any way around this?

I have the DDF files and the MKD files, but just can't seem to add or edit data in certain tables. Not all tables have this problem. Some tables I ADD new records EDIT certain fields but not others.

Any ideas?

If you've got the source code to the application, the Owner Name is going to be there. You might try using the BUTIL-CLONE/-COPY commands. I've heard that in some cases it will forget to put the owner name on but haven't seen the behavior myself.
    Mirtheil Software

Cool

THANK YOU!!!! THIS LEAD ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO OVERCOME THE PROBLEM!!!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!