Thread: JOIN trouble

Unanswered: JOIN trouble

I'm trying to create an SQL expression that returns the greatest expiry date associated with a single person. The tables look like this:

Person:
    MemberID
    FirstName
    ContactID

ContactID

Trans:
    TransactionID
    ExpiryDate
    MemberID

strSQL = "SELECT Person.MemberID, Person.Surname, Person.FirstName, Person.DateOfBirth, Contact.FlatHouseNo, Contact.StreetName, Contact.Suburb, Contact.TownCity, Contact.PhoneNo, Trans.ExpiryDate FROM (Person INNER JOIN Contact ON Person.ContactID = Contact.ContactID) LEFT JOIN Trans ON (Person.MemberID = Trans.MemberID AND Trans.ExpiryDate = )"

So in my VB app I want to return a row for every person, but since a person may have more than one transaction linked with them i only want to return the transaction with the greatest expiry date.

I have been trying to figure this out for a while..

Any ideas?

Re: JOIN trouble

Originally posted by raydenl
    I'm trying to create an SQL expression that returns the greatest expiry date associated with a single person. The tables look like this:

Person:
    MemberID
    FirstName
    ContactID

ContactID

Trans:
    TransactionID
    ExpiryDate
    MemberID

strSQL = "SELECT Person.MemberID, Person.Surname, Person.FirstName, Person.DateOfBirth, Contact.FlatHouseNo, Contact.StreetName, Contact.Suburb, Contact.TownCity, Contact.PhoneNo, Trans.ExpiryDate FROM (Person INNER JOIN Contact ON Person.ContactID = Contact.ContactID) LEFT JOIN Trans ON (Person.MemberID = Trans.MemberID AND Trans.ExpiryDate = )"

So in my VB app I want to return a row for every person, but since a person may have more than one transaction linked with them i only want to return the transaction with the greatest expiry date.

I have been trying to figure this out for a while..

Any ideas?
    hello raydenl, this problem looks v.simlar to one i had, see the thread "simply impossible" in this forum. blindman provided an answer for me which i think you could adapt fairly easily...

...LEFT JOIN Trans
    ON Person.MemberID = Trans.MemberID
    AND Trans.ExpiryDate =
    ( select max(ExpiryDate) from Trans
    where MemberID = Person.MemberID )
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL