Unanswered: Creating a spatial index in Oracle9i

Hi,

I am using Oracle 9i as the backend and Java as the front end for a spatial database application.

How would you create a R+ tree spatial index in Oracle 9i?

I already have data to populate the tables.

Can u create the spatial index (R tree or R+ tree) after creating the tables or does it have to created after the insertion of data?

If it has to be done after the insertion of data can u create it from a java program using JDBC?

Good day!

Nisha,
    U have to create the index (R tree or R+ tree) only after the insertion of data, even if u create index before insertion of data, it'll be of no use. B'cos we need to index the data every time when there is an editing of data considerably. But again if there is frequent updation/change of data it is not advised to use R Tree index, rather u should use Quad tree index.
    I have information that we can index the data though JDBC but do not know how to do it.

Uday

hi,

thanks for the info.

i was able to create a spatial index (R tree) for poly lines...but was not able to do it for a table which had a attribute of the spatial data type - sdo_point_type.

how wud u create a spatial index for a SDO_POINT_TYPE?
    also, how wud u create a R+ tree ?

Nisha Ray

Originally posted by uday bhasker
    Nisha,
    U have to create the index (R tree or R+ tree) only after the insertion of data, even if u create index before insertion of data, it'll be of no use. B'cos we need to index the data every time when there is an editing of data considerably. But again if there is frequent updation/change of data it is not advised to use R Tree index, rather u should use Quad tree index.
    I have information that we can index the data though JDBC but do not know how to do it.

Uday

To create spatial index on points u should use the parameter as 'layer_gtype = point' during index creation.

No idea about R+ tree index. But is there any advantage of using R+ tree index?